Ben Judd: Kojima “needs to put the clamps on himself”

Wednesday, 17th September 2008 15:52 GMT By Patrick Garratt

metalgear6.jpg

Speaking to Videogamer, Bionic Commando producer Ben Judd said that Hideo Kojima should limit his cut-scenes to 30 minutes. You tell him, Ben.

“I liked Metal Gear Solid 4, with the exception of the story,” he said.

“I like Kojima’s stories, but they keep getting longer and longer. He needs to put the clamps on himself and only give himself 30 minutes. If he did that I’m sure they’d be fantastic.”

More through the link.

1. Blerk

30 minutes is still too fucking long. By about 20 minutes.

2. fj

3. patlike

29… minus 27.

4. pjmaybe

See, I don’t mind the cut scenes. I’d moan a lot more if they were really crappy quality, but they’re not. Some of the stuff in MGS4 is stunning to look at.

5. Hunam

I bought the game specifically for the cutscenes.

6. patlike

I honestly didn’t play it because of the cut-scenes. I doubt I’ll ever play another Kojima MGS game, to be honest. I’m not saying they’re bad at all. Not for me, though.

7. redlander

I fancy Ben Judd.

Did not mind the cut scenes, it was just annoying when you have to press start to go to the next one or load the next part of the game.

MGS4 was far from the seamless game play we are getting used too.

8. wz

If I want good non-interactivity, I go to the movies.

9. Harry

I agree with you Pat. I loved the first game (of the new MGS franchise) and some of the second. But a lot of the elements of the second got on my nerves. So I didn’t play 3.

I managed 30 minutes of MGS4, and have not put the disc back in the PS3 since.

10. Rhythm

Enjoyed MGS1, *LOVED* MGS2 when I played it a few weeks ago, but MGS3 got ruined by the crap gameplay, not the cutscenes. After my experience of 3 I’m unlikely to ever try 4

11. No_PUDding

I loved the cutscenes. Indeed it’s part of the appeal.

But what I hated was the installs, they cannot be justified at all. Just give me a 30min install if you have to.

But when you’re playing the game the amount of content is just astounding. I defitnely do not think it’s a sound game design. I personally think that cutscenes should be totally ridden of, but it’s Metal Gear Solid Style.

12. Freek

Length isn’t really issue, it’s that in allot of them nothing happens for long periods of time.
    It’d be fine if it was 40 minuts of non stop awsome, but listening to some guy talk about ones and zeros gets old fast.

13. mortiferus

Everything after MGS1 has been a major disappointment to me. Three was the worst, four was passable. Hideo is not a good writer, he leaves way too many open holes in his long drawn out stories. I’m still wrapping my head around the MGS2 ending, which has to be one of the worst endings ever in the history of gaming.

Plain and simple, Kojima needs to go back to his core gaming past and leave the directors seat to the spielberg’s of the world.

14. McLovin85

Got to about chapter 3 then became sick of having to watch cut scenes so haven’t really been inspired to go back and finish the game yet.