Spencer: “I’ll line up against Sony’s first party any day”

Tuesday, 16th September 2008 11:22 GMT By Patrick Garratt

MGS boss Phil Spencer reckons Xbox 360′s line-up is more than a match for PS3′s.

“Let’s start from the beginning of both consoles – PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 – which first party has had more success on their own platform? We have Gears, Halo, Forza, we’re continuing to push existing IP while bringing new IP to market. I’ll line up against Sony’s first party any day,” he told GI.

The exec also claimed he was happy to be matched to Sony’s first-party efforts this generation by any metric.

“We talk about games when we know what they are, when we can guarantee the quality to the customers, and we’ll say when they’re going to come out – I think the customers want that. But lining us up against Sony first party – I love that comparison,” he added. “Review score average, exclusive hits to-date, you pick the metric and we can talk about it.”

More through there.

1. Blerk

Fightin’ talk!

Tell us what’s out next year instead of smack-talking, you braggard.

2. patlike

He just won’t, Blerk. Not until he can guarantee the quality to the customers.

3. Blerk

Is this the point where someone mentions Too Human? :-D

4. Psychotext

Number of Too Human games released on the 360: 1
    Number of Too Human games released on the PS3: 0

I’m not sure Too Human counts as a metric. :D

5. Balbarian

Or the fact that you’ll have to pay for the TF2 update on Live when PC owners get it free. Although I suppose there’s one solution to that…buy a PC!

6. Blerk

It might be cheaper just to buy the update.

7. Robo_1

I miss Peter Moore. He managed to say stuff like this without sounding like a 13 year old internet troll.

8. Psychotext

Peter Moore was a god amongst men.

9. Quiiick

Huh?
    Since when is “Gears of War” a first party title?
    Does Microsoft own the IP? Not Epic?

10. Blerk

Yes, Microsoft owns the IP.

11. Psychotext

I’ve got a habit of being wrong lately… do I don’t really want to disagree with Blerk, but I don’t think it is.

I think they have exclusive rights to publish the Gears of War games but Epic retains the IP.

12. Blerk

I have no proof, other than a half-remembered article somewhere at some point which I may have dreamed. So you could be right.

13. patlike

I’m 99% sure it’s an Epic IP.

14. Psychotext

Pat agrees with me… I’m guaranteed to be wrong now. ;)

15. Blerk

Let’s ask Pachter, just to be sure.

16. patlike

The cheek of it!

17. Psychotext

Well, Pachter, Pat and Psychotext all agreeing at once is like the unholy trinity (PPP). Put all your money on the complete opposite being true!

:D

18. patlike

Heh. A “triple-P prediction”. That’s in the canon now.

19. Psychotext

:P

20. No_PUDding

Glad that I pu No in front of my name, and my answers follow suit.

I am guessing it’s a matter of odd or even. One P will be wrong, 2 P’s will be right,, 3 P’s would be wrong, but luckily Pachter isn’t here.

And both Psychotext and patlike are right as far as I know.

And this guy is right about the success, Sony just don’t put as much marketing force behind their games. Especially in America (apparently).

But there’s some points I wouldn’t want to be arguing on his side.

21. Gekidami

GEoW is owned by EPIC, MS have publishing contracts for 2 GeOW titles, though they’ll no doubt revamp it to 2 more, atleast thats what i heard.

As for 360′s first party, i dont really agree with the man, mainly because, for one, most of their first parties are just bought publishing rights, and as soon as that contract ends the devs can take the games where ever they want, and second MS have a tendence to release their stuff on PC whilst its still exclusive to their name, not really changing a titles quaility, but more or less voiding the whole “You need a 360 to play it” thing.

22. Quiiick

As I thought: the GEoW IP is not owned by M$.
    So Mr. Spencer should be more careful with his words …

23. Psychotext

Technically he never said who it belonged to…

24. No_PUDding

Sony hasn’t even commented on who owns the rights to Rachet and Clank/Resistance. So I suspect it’s Insomniac.

The only proof Sony owns it is the Wikipedia page, and that’s not exactly proof. So both heavy hitting shooter exclusives this fall aren’t 1st party, 1 might be I guess – I don’t know.

25. wz

It’s mine, actually, but I let them use it.

On another note, all this “We’re better!” talk does not really show a great deal of professionality, or confidence for that matter.

26. 3ig3oi

With FPS, coming out this fall why the hell is knowone talkin about Sony’s line up. Even if yor not a fan you got2 admit we got a few nice lookin 1′s droping this fall.

PS3 is moving alittle quicker.