Grant given to discover why US WoW players mod more heavily than Chinese

Saturday, 13th September 2008 21:11 GMT By Patrick Garratt

wow8.jpg

According to this OCRegister story, the National Science Foundation has given UC Irvine $100,000 to investigate why Americans go to greater lengths than the Chinese to mod WoW.

About 5 million Chinese play the MMO, twice the number of American players, yet US subscribers produce far more modifications.

“We are examining the many reasons for this disparity, including cultural and institutional factors,” said UCI informatics professor Bonnie Nardi.

It’s Saturday evening, OK? More through the link.

1. wz

Another story: Sarah split up with Tom, we’re all shocked. I mean, she’s pregnant!

2. absolutezero

You dont really need mods to run raids everyday over and over and over and over and over.

3. ran93r

I couldn’t live without my unit bar mod (well, not literally die without it but you know what I mean)

4. prodygee

Mods are programs that take care of your character when you’re not playing?

Then the answer is easy, there are twice as much chinese playing, so they just take over eachothers’ accounts in turn.

No, I don’t play this game.

5. videogaming247

Chinese players most often play in public terminals at internet cafes and the like. Some places dont allow them to save data to the hard drive directly, with good reason.

Therefore no adding mods to their machine.

I’d like my 100,000.00 in paypal money and sent to my email address please =).

6. David

“Mods are programs that take care of your character when you’re not playing?”

No they are not they are interface upgrades and addons that improve on or even add features to the game that wouldn’t be available without them. They do no and would not play the game for you when you were away. That is against the terms and conditions of WoW that is considered cheating.

7. Psychotext

Funny thing is, videogaming247′s comment is probably spot on.