Recent games won’t feel as much speed benefit from HD 360-install

Wednesday, 10th September 2008 15:52 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gotham3.jpg

Xbox Germany product manager Boris Schneider-Johne has claimed that newer Xbox 360 games won’t gain much load-time benefit installing them to the console’s hard drive as they’ve already been “optimised.”

We now allow the customer to install games on their hard drive,” he said, speaking to Golem.de in an interview translated by GamersGlobal.

“This is optional, you don’t have to do it. But if I do it, these games will load faster because a DVD-drive with seek operation does have load times every now and then. There are prominent examples, for instance: Project Gotham Racing 3, one of the first games for the Xbox 360. There the load times have been very long; those are going to get reduced immensely.

Recent games are already optimized; there the gain is relatively small.”

The option to install games to 360′s drive will be included in the New Xbox Experience dashboard update, rumoured to be launching in November.

Loading times aside, installing games to the drive does definitely mean you don’t have to listen to your console’s disc drive trying to lift off. Which will be nice.

1. No_PUDding

Things like this, achievements and more importantly Home and and generally more annoying PS3 development (althoguh that’s a necessary hurdle) really is anotehr reason why multiplatform HD games are so expensive to make.

There will be so many things they need to add extra, that’s exclsuive to each console and then that ontop of the extensivity of current-gen games.

Just slows them down becuase the consoles are so strong in different areas.

I am not a fan of the one console future, but this is a drag for developers.

2. Blerk

What are you on about? There’s nothing to support. The OS just makes an image of the disc on the hard drive and it works. No developer effort required.

What I do hope is that developers don’t stop optimising their games for reading from DVD-ROM once people can install to HDD. Because that would be wrong.

3. Psychotext

Aye, this is all OS based (something Sony should have done with their custom sound tracks…). I don’t really care about loading speeds, but running without the DVD spinning will be glorious.

4. Tiger Walts

If you run Viva Piñata and Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise next to each other you’ll see how much better they are at it today. Loading pretty much the same data yet the sequel is about 3 times faster at doing it.

5. OrphanageExplosion

Soul Calibur IV on 360 loading from the DVD is faster than the PS3 version even with its hard disk installation!

6. morriss

Seriously people, my new 60Gb 360 is as quiet as my 60Gb PS3.

I love it! No jumbo jet in my living room!

7. Psychotext

Don’t lie to me Mr Morrisses.

8. Syrok

My new 60Gb PS3 probably is as loud as your average 360, once you start playing a game or watch a movie for longer then 10 minutes. On the upside this is also my first PS3 that turns the fan of again once you stopped playing/watching movies and return to the mainscreen.

9. wickedman

I agree with Syrok,my 60gb ps3 is loud ,like my 360 20gb but when i change the fan on the xbox now is so quiet, i need to get closer to see if the fan on the xbox is working,so change the fan buy a Talismoon and no worries,cooler,and silent.;-)

10. morriss

Honestly. I’ll tell you what: I’ll put my PS3 on for 20 mins (when the fans kick in) and then record it on my mobile, I’ll then turn on the 360 and run Viva Pinata 2 which uses the disk constantly.

You can then judge for yourself.

11. ecu

My Elite is pretty quite, I’m happy with that.

12. Psychotext

/watches morriss closely for proof of result tampering