Yoshida – PS3 hardware, cost and pricing “now coming together”

Tuesday, 9th September 2008 09:40 GMT By Patrick Garratt

shuheiyoshida2.jpg

It’s all happening. Speaking to VG247 at Games Convention, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said that Jack Tretton’s claim that 2008 would be the “year of PlayStation 3″ is coming to fruition.

“All the things are now coming together in terms of the right hardware, cost and pricing, and we are increasing our hard disc space as we are increasing the content we’re offering through the network and the big titles we’re working on, coming out this Christmas,” he said. “All that is coming together this year.”

And, obviously, next year’s plans are continuing apace.

“I definitely hope so,” said the dev chief when we asked if he believed 2009 would be another “PS3 year.”

“We are feeling very comfortable about the momentum we have on all PlayStation platforms, and especially the way things are going in Europe. It’s very, very encouraging.”

Yoshida wouldn’t be drawn on unannounced product for 2009, but assured there’s plenty we haven’t seen yet.

“That’s not to say we’re not working on product for next year,” he added. “We have some titles that we have announced this year for release next year, like Heavy Rain and MAG, our big 256-player online title.

“Also there are some titles that we are targeting to launch next year that we have not announced yet. We still have a lot to come.”

Sony stole the show in Germany this year with SKU announcements for both PS3 and PSP and a first showing of Quantic Dream’s Heavy Rain.

More soon.

1. Blerk

How he can keep a straight face while saying things are “coming together in terms of…. pricing”, I have no idea.

TOO. MUCH. MONEY.

2. patlike

It’s all working for them, innit. They’re getting good sales without needing to cut, and the PS division’s in profit. I really don’t think they’re feeling the pressure at the moment. I get the impression they feel as though they’ve crested the worst of it and it’s all gravy from here on in.

3. Psychotext

Not sure about that… in Europe they’re doing fine but that’s as much due to brand loyalty as anything else. In the US and Japan it’s another story, assuming they want to sell even half what the PS2 did that is.

4. patlike

I’ve got more in that interview about the situation in Japan. He basically said it’s down to software and pricing’s got nothing to do with it.

5. wz

If Europe is giving so much to you, try giving back!

6. Psychotext

I think he’s right about the software situation Pat. Though that might be because I’ve been saying the same thing. :D

7. patlike

Ja, he is right, but I still think writing off price point as a driving factor is a bit black and white. Saying that, Xbox 360′s August figures in Japan pretty much prove how important software is to selling hardware there.

I still think a PS3 price cut will have a dramatic effect on sales in Europe.

8. Psychotext

I don’t think it’s so much “writing off price”, it’s just that you could keep cutting the price and get virtually no-where like what happened to the xbox and gamecube last gen.

You’re right about Europe, but it’s worth baring in mind that we pay £299 vs Japan’s £198 (Or €388 vs €246)

9. patlike

And 360 this gen *coff*

10. patlike

Not to say 360′s going nowhere, but you know what I mean. Like Maverick in Top Gun, they’re “heading for the hard deck.”

11. Robo_1

More fool them if they’re going to rest on their laurels though. MS are about as aggressive a competitor as you can have, and I’m sure they’ll be looking to build their own momentum up in Europe.

I imagine Sony tech people are working flat out to get the cell and gpu down to a 32nm process. As I understand it, MS have been able to give the 360 a recent discount due to the Jasper chipset being ready for release, and I imagine when Valahalla is released (which features the processor and gpu on a single chip) we will see a major price reduction, and maybe even a 360-lite.

Sony seem to have better hardware people on their team though, but they really need to close the gap with 360′s hardware revisions, to stay price competitive.

12. patlike

But *is* price competitiveness a deciding factor? I can see both sides of the coin. I remember what happened when they pulled PS2 to under £200 in the UK last time – sales went absolutely beserk. But then Psycho’s right: software will drive hardware almost irrespective of cost.

Maybe there’s a “sweet spot” of the right pricing and the right line-up.

13. Psychotext

I don’t think you’re ever going to see anything like the PS2 sales this gen for Sony. Mostly because the Wii is eating up casuals like there’s no tomorrow.

/awaits argument about the Wii not competing with the PS3 / 360

14. patlike

They seem convinced 100 million’s attainable, although they’re probably talking over 10 years. I guess there is still a lot they can do in terms of service upgrades, cost-cutting, and so on. Long way to go yet.

15. Blerk

Hardware needs to be £200 or less to even begin to make a mass-market dent, regardless of software. I’d fully expected the PS3 to make it to £199 before Christmas 2008 at this point last year, but that’s just not going to happen. I’m very surprised that they seem content to “tick over” when (in Europe at least) they have the potential to smash. Short term pain for long term profit – isn’t that usually the way? They seem to be doing it arse about face for some reason.

16. Psychotext

Pat: I don’t think they’re convinced at all. I think they need to make their shareholders think they’re convinced though. If you look at the trends the PS3 would have to have an unprecedented few years to go over 100m.

Unprecedented in that they’d need to sell more than the PS2 ever did at its peak.

17. patlike

Blerk – I agree on the price point. I do think, though, that everything they’ve done with PS3 so far suggests they’re refusing to bow to pressure and stick to a (very) long term plan. I’m with you: I fully expected a cut this year. Looks as though profitability right now, though, is the priority.

PT – You may well be right, about the public perception, but I still think we’re going to see explosive PS3 sales in 2009 and 2010. If they can align the planets of price, software and “multimedia” at the right time I think PS3 can still be the shock story of this gen.

18. Psychotext

The analyst’s original predictions hope that you’re right… and right in a big way. :)

It’s theoretically possible, though I still believe that the competitor strength is too great this gen. Besides that, Nintendo have a cash warchest of quite a few billion thanks to the Wii so they’re quite capable of taking the battle up a few notches. :o

(You know, that smiley really doesn’t look shocked… I don’t know what he looks like but it isn’t shocked.)

19. No_PUDding

Looks like he’s about to eat something.

Anyway, I just read what you all said and, agreed the PS3 will never reach PS2 numbers, especially since they are STILL selling the PS2.

But I am way more skeptical that this generations will be as quick as previous ones.

Thinking about Microsoft reinventing their console with Software, and the Wii still being last gen hardware. Who’s to say these pieces of hardware won’t just be reinvented when we assume next gen should come in.

Anyway, can’t wait to see more of the interview.

20. BraveArse

the smiley looks kind of “hopefully shouty” to me.

edit: I’m dreading seeing sony take the PSP path as far as revisions go. PSP-3000 made me quite angry given that I’d just bought a 2000 a year ago.

So technically the Ps3 will last 10 years or whatever but in reality it’s a vastly different machine. All the while maintaining that same price point, because it’s got “new stuff”.

21. No_PUDding

I don’t think you can scam people as easily with an HD consoles as your can with a portable. Although I guess it happened with BC.

Glad I have a 60gb.

22. darkseider

I laugh at folks that say “too much money!” It’s a Blu-Ray player which is future proof due to firmware updates. Wireless B/G networking built in. Rechargable bluetooth controllers through ANY USB connection. Can run a fully fledged operating system for basic productivity oh and 80 gig HD for $399. Let’s not forget that PSN is FREE and that playing online games is FREE except for the upcoming MMOs.

Compare this to the Xbox 360 even after its’ price reduction to $249 and it is still a deal. Add $100 for the Wifi adapter and $60 for Xbox live which is a recurring yearly charge and now you initial cost is $409. Lets not forget that there is NO Blu-Ray ability nor is there the ability to run a OS, Linux, on it like the PS3. If you add a low end PC and a Blu-Ray player to that you have just rung up a $1000 bill for the same functionality for a $399 PS3.

23. Syrok

…Yay, the listing of what you get with is back.

It’s $560 in Europe, the Blu-Ray player is only interesting if you plan to use it and have a HDTV. Not everyone needs or has a wireless connection.

24. darkseider

Well Syrok you just made my points stand out even more. Why complain about the price of a PS3 if you can’t even take advantage of the technology it offers? Kinda like bitching about the cost of the eyeglasses you bought even though you have 20/20 vision and don’t need them.

25. Syrok

I’m just saying that it is too expensive for those who just want to play games.

26. Psychotext

People complain because they want to pay less for a product that interests them. Expensive (or the definition of it) is down to personal criteria, not a laundry list of features.

I could pay £500 for a hotel room and you might say that’s ludicrously expensive, but for me it might be worth every penny. Same might go for someone who buys a £3000 TV with features that have no worth to another person.

27. darkseider

Psychotext I agree to an extent but cost is also based generally on what you receive in the final product. What one person would deem expensive another may not. But to say that a PS3 is expensive knowing what it can do and what it offers is a bit ridiculous.

A PC with the same functionality would arguably cost more that the cost of a PS3 yet folks buy them without complaint. Heck if you could get a PC with the functionality of a PS3 for the same cost of a PS3 most would say it’s a deal.

28. Psychotext

But again, you may not deem blu-ray, wireless, streaming etc to be of any worth. If you look at it as just a games player I could see the argument, because by historical standards it is expensive. Same argument could be made if you had no plan to use it for games and just bought it as a blu-ray player.

All down to the way an individual feels about something, and there’s no right or wrong there.

29. bugmenot