GameStop: No “end in sight” for Wii shortages

Tuesday, 9th September 2008 16:24 GMT By Patrick Garratt

GameStop CEO Dan DeMatteo has told GameDaily that there are nothing like enough Wiis to go around at the moment, and he thinks it’s a problem that’s going to run into the holidays.

“I’ve never seen this type of demand before. I know they’re making more, but we’re still short like everybody else. I think we’ll have a continued shortage this Christmas,” he said.

He continued, “I don’t see a near-term end in sight for Wii shortages, not unless they really ramp up supply. I think they’ve ramped it up 20 percent or so, but Nintendo is fairly cautious by nature. They ramped it up 20 and it’s still evaporating.”

More through the link.

1. Blerk

Quite why Nintendo is still ‘being cautious’ after seeing the continually high sales rate, I have no idea.

Oh wait, could it be that they’re purposely keeping production low so as to keep it in the news as ‘sold out’ every week? Nah, surely not. They’re all friendly and cuddly, aren’t they?

2. patlike

Surely they have production issues? Why would they not want to sell more machines?

3. wz

The Wii is so great, no amount of produced units could ever satisfy the demand.

4. Syrok

Not enough Wii? Whatever shop I go to there are at least 10 Wiis neatly and a few WiiFit boards.

5. Robo_1

I’m actually surprised you see so few second hand Wii’s. I mean one complaint you often hear levelled against the machine, is that it’s a short term fad, which is bought, played for about a month and then sits gathering dust.

6. wickedman

I think they sell the wii at subway too!!! ;-)

7. BartonFink

Perish the thought Blerk nice Ninty would never do such things, would they?

8. Tonka

Is it ok with you guys if I set up my tin-foil hat stand right here? I do a special where you get an “I want to believe” poster if you buy a pack of 5 hats.

Everywhere except in the US and the UK you can walk into a store and buy a Wii just like a loaf of bread. You also have to consider two things. The Wii is being produced and is selling in massive amounts already. It’s not as with the other two where a 100 000 extra consoles would make a difference.

Nintendo have stated over and over again that they have no idea what so ever how large this new market they have tapped into is. There is no precedence.

What they should do is redirect some consoles from mainland Europe and Japan to the UK and US.

9. Blerk

Actually you can walk into a UK shop and buy a Wii off the shelf quite easily at the minute. I know, because I did it not two weeks ago.