Dreamcast celebrates ninth American birthday

Tuesday, 9th September 2008 16:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dreamcastlogo.jpg

Dreamcast is nine today, in America at least. The fated Sega machine was launched in the US on September 9, 1999, before practically defining the phrase, “And the rest is history.”

The console first launched on November 27, 1998, in Japan, and on October 14, 1999, in Europe.

GSW’s done a massive piece on it. Cry your bitter tears of pain over there.

1. wz

We still love you. Heck, I even have one at home, fully functional. But I must admit that I abandoned it from the living room recently :’(

2. Psychotext

Just wait, 9/9/9

It’s coming!

3. patlike

No idea what happened to mind. Soul Calibur changed my life, though.

4. patlike

PT: Jesus, I hadn’t even thought of that. Just imagine it.

5. Psychotext

Shame we’re all going to get killed by a black hole first. Still, lucky break for Sega fans if we are.

6. wickedman

I still have my dreamcast,HAPPY B!!! :-)

7. wz

PT, messiah, 9/9/9 BELIEVE

8. Dr.Haggard

I won one which was delivered in the week it was launched, and I’d sold it within a fortnight. I guess back then I was still a bit of a PC snob and Soul Calibur didn’t do anything to change my opinion of console games. My daughter loved Trickstyle, but we just bought the PC version.

I’ve been meaning to pick one up again for years but I just never get around to it.

9. patlike

They go for nothing on eBay now. You can get them for a few quid.

10. BraveArse

I found mine when I moved house a couple of months ago \o/ I looked at it fondly…

… then put it back in the box, remembering how bloody painful those triggers were, especially on games like F355 Challenge.

/winces

11. Dr.Haggard

Pat, I was just checking ebay when I remembered how many games I’m in the middle of at the moment, and how many are coming out in the next few months that I intend to buy. Plus a conversation on the board has inspired me to start replaying Enclave and Severance tonight. There aren’t enough bloody hours in the day are there?

I think this is something I need to do in the new year drought, then I’ll dig through some old EG threads for game recommendations.

12. JamieSI

I bought one of these recently, It’s a pretty good system, shame it did so badly.

House of the Dead is good fun, I’ve been meaning to get shenmue to, but this one keeps going for quite a bit on Ebay.

I got a Mega CD on ebay today, can anyone recommend some titles for this? I’ve got Dune and Road Avenger at the moment. Going to try and get the decent Sonic game too, fairly difficult to find though.

13. wz

Damn Shenmue, yes. It’s amazingly expensive, but still, one of the best gaming experiences of all time.

(I hear there’s a third episode coming soon! Rly!)

14. JamieSI

haha, I’ll need to play the first two before a third one comes out :p

Is it worth the expensive price? =)

15. wz

I guess it’s worth it, when you never played it before. But I am reluctant to pay more for it then what a friend of mine paid when the DC was still “hot”.

(I would not exactly hold my breath for part 3.)

16. JamieSI

I think I’ll wait awhile then, see if I can catch a copy for cheap somewhere.

I’ve been looking for a copy of Streets of Rage 3 for an age, but that game just keeps selling at 60 to 50 pounds each time. That’s probably one game I’d love to own right now.

17. wz

There is just one completely unrelated curios fact I have to state here:

Almost any Dreamcast will read CD-R media unmodified. If yours doesn’t by default, just put it on the side, so that the disc spins vertically. That’s no joke, I found that out after my Resident Evil copy broke.

18. BraveArse

Yup – it was pretty much the biggest nail in the DC coffin, that. Used to see all sorts of pirated DC games at the local market. Was a real shame – some of those games were awesome for their time and deserved to make way more money than they did. And I still say it had the best non-pc version of Quake 3 I’ve ever seen.

19. ecu

One of the best consoles ever.

/salutes