Dead Space engine to be offered as middleware

Tuesday, 9th September 2008 12:46 GMT By Patrick Garratt

deadspace17.jpg

According to this GamePlayer story, EA’s planning to offer the Dead Space engine as middleware.

The news comes from the game’s producer, Glen Schofield. Apparently:

The engine’s origins are in From Russia with Love and The Godfather game, but soon after that open-world mafia hit was released the engine was taken internally within the Dead Space studio and worked on for two and half years.

Glen was very excited about what the engine can offer, and how malleable it is. Lawyers are currently on the job sorting out the legalities of officially naming the engine and an announcement on this will be made soon. The engine is already being used in the creation of The Godfather 2 video game, and following the completion of the naming process, Glen hopes the engine will become a key tool across multiple upcoming games and openly invited his compatriots to come and take a look.

Plenty more through there.

1. Psychotext

I need to see how it runs before getting excited. :)

2. Blerk

At least it seems to run nicely on the PS3. For a change.

3. patlike

Want it. Really want it. I hope it’s bloody good.

4. Dr.Haggard

Against my better judgement I’m very excited about Dead Space, probably more than I am about anything else due in October. It looks fantastic. I just hope it doesn’t turn out to be another Run Like Hell, I got quite excited about that and it was rubbish.

I’m totally off Fallout 3 since E3, and dipping into Fable again recently reminded me that I just don’t like Lionhead games very much. Dead Space you’re my only hope. Oh and WotLK.

5. No_PUDding

I think I am with you Dr, I just watched another Dev Diar (so far I have been watching the animated series which I thought was great), and the team behind it seems really passionate and their ideas are just fresh.

I can’t afford it, but it’s a rent for sure, I need to try it. The space walks sound awesomely tense, monitoring your oxygen levels and no sound becuase of the vacuum. Excellent premise for a game.

Reminiscent of an arcade experience except it heightens it with the whole scary side.

6. Blerk

What makes you think the PS3 version is the lead platform for this title, Pud? They showed the 360 version much earlier.

7. Blerk

Oh, I answered my own question. It isn’t. But it is. Kind of.