BioShock PS3 has 5Gb, 10-minute mandatory install

Tuesday, 9th September 2008 20:21 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bioshock14.jpg

The PS3 version of BioShock has a 5Gb mandatory install that takes a little over 10 minutes to complete.

While the game’s trundling onto your hard drive, your TV shows your Rapture ads and plays a little piano music.

The game was rumoured to have a sizable install after the BBFC rated the game back in July, but 2K commented at the time that it was likely to have an install of “around 5 or 6 minutes” at most, according to this DarkZero report.

The news comes from the new Eurogamer playtest we linked to earlier.

BioShock releases for PS3 on October 24.

1. Psychotext

/applauds

2. Robo_1

Balls :(

I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I’ll have to upgrade my PS3 hard drive. God knows how the poor souls with 40gb machines are coping!

3. Psychotext

Could be worse, you could have a 20gb machine. ;)

4. mortiferus

Mandatory installs suck! Plain and simple.

5. mightyhokie

Awww, come one. It is 10 minutes for 25-30 hours of the best game ever. Is it really a big deal?

6. Syrok

It’s not the time it’s the size that matters

…in this case. :)

7. ecu

The number of huge mandatory installs on the PS3 is getting a bit ridiculous now, even the 80GB model isn’t enough.

8. wz

I guess Sony loves this, in fact, it’s creating a reason to buy the more capacious editions in the first place.

9. ElfShotTheFood

Ten minutes? But I wanna play NOW!!

10. Rhythm

There are indeed too many mandatory installs around at the moment. My 60GB is stuffed to the gills and I hardly have a massive number of games

11. Blerk

I guess these aren’t going away any time soon, then. Ho hum. Not the end of the world, but I guess it puts the dampeners on the old “hey, we haven’t played Game X for ages, let’s throw it on for ten minutes” thing.

12. Senpai_Sakura

Come on guys stop complaining, 5 gig i have to admit is a lot when you have 40 even 60 gig but how glad am i that i dont have or are not forced with a sleazy 20 gig, and also the fact that i can walk into my nearest pc shop last week purchase a 250 gig seagate sata 2.5 hdd and in less than 20 minutes after backups and so on my ps3 is the vastness of space….erm atleast for a while…yet my xbox is stuck with the 20gig cant upgrade..thus i dont use it as a media internet or movie centre..no space….once again sony thought way ahead cause its so easy to upgrade and atleast in the dry months like july/august its a good enough time to invest in a little hardware to make the ps3 capable of even a darn 20gig installation. and even if bioshock had a ten gig installation experiencing it on the ps3 will be awesome…except i will have to rob a bank as to many titles coming out now nooooo!!!!!…..oh well i work for a living might just as well blow it for a living erm…saying this softly so the wife doesnt hear me..damn to late run!

13. Blerk

Breathe, man! Breathe!

Medic!

14. Psychotext

/sprints into thread with paddles

CLEAR!

15. martin01p

lol Ye ive got a 2 1Tb hardrives that i swap for my ps3 and im finding thats not enough either with 1080p movies taking up 20gbs each, yellow dog at least 10gb, music, Game instals, demos and with play tv coming out im guna have alot more on there. 40gb 60gb 80gb sucks balls and well 20gb is just pathetic.

16. Blerk

I thought the PS3 only supported drives up to about 300gig? :-)

17. Psychotext

500gb, but yeah. Unless you’re talking about external drives.

18. martin01p

I use a caddy which plugs into the ps3 which give me and external sata connection then i use a sata to esata cable into a HDD docking station where i can easily swap my harddrives