No Fallout 3 Trophies at launch, says Hines

Thursday, 4th September 2008 17:39 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fallout319.jpg

Speaking to PSU, Bethesda’s Peter Hine has confirmed that the PS3 version of Fallout 3 won’t have Trophies at launch. Dang.

“Not at launch,” he said. “It remains to be seen what we do down the road. It wasn’t something we were able to incorporate into the game for launch.”

Game’s out for 360, PC and PS3 in October.

1. morriss

Every time a trophy story gets written small baby kittens get drowned.

FACT

2. redlander

Will someone please think of the kittens!

This is a bit rubbish! can you very imagine the cafuffle if there where no 360 achievements.

3. Heitzu

I thought Achievements were a mandatory part of the 360 certification process though, without them you don’t get your game published.

Unlike a PS3 game and the trophy system.

4. morriss

Still doesn’t mean every majot release has to have a will it, won’t it piece written about it.

I’m not blaming vg247 here, we have to print stuff that people find interesting, no matter how absolutely droll and moribund the subject matter.

5. redlander

Nice use of the word ‘moribund’ morriss.

6. morriss

Cheers. I try and shoehorn it in where ever I can. :)

7. Vahn16

It’s still better than acknowledging that your subject matter doesn’t deserve an article, within the article, and then telling a self-deprecating, fourth wall-shattering joke.

“This is news? Man, who’d even write something like this? Hilarity!”

8. No_PUDding

I didn’t notice it, it was VERY tastefully done Morriss.

But next year is when it chnages. Trophy’s are mandtory with games in development next year.

I don’t know how much I want Trophies on games like the Team ICO game though. Might ruin it a bit.

9. Psychotext

You sure about that No_PUD? Last I heard there were no plans to make it mandatory.

10. No_PUDding

Let me find a link, becuase as you know I have an unbreakable habit of talking out of my ass.

Rumour at the moment. And I recognise the interview that they have backing it up, but I don’t know where from.

11. Psychotext

12. el Croux

Trophies and Achievements are for knobs.

13. Psychotext

For knobs you say?

Hmm… perhaps I’m using them incorrectly.

14. Gamoc

Actually, I read somewhere that Sony are going to make Trophies compulsary at some point in the future, but I can’t remember where, when or if I dreamt it or not.

15. morriss

16. Robo_1

Seems reasonable then. As PS3 has only supported trophies for a few months, they’re not expecting developers to shoe horn them into their games at the eleventh hour, but after 2009, they figure developers have known about them for long enough, and it’s going to be a required feature.

Can’t blame them either, I know some people who buy their multi-platform releases on 360 purely for achievements.

I’ve always found it odd that it’s not something Sony supported from launch, given that Ratchet & Clank pretty much invented the idea of in-game achievements, with their skill points system.

17. No_PUDding

Ironic I went to search for it elsewhere when it was on this site.

Obviously not ironic enough to be entertaining.

18. Psychotext