Ninja Gaiden doesn’t have the “power,” says DMC creator

Saturday, 30th August 2008 17:31 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ninjagaideniia2.jpg

Devil May Cry creator Hideki Kamiya clearly doesn’t mince his words. He can’t be bothered playing Ninja Gaiden. It doesn’t have the power to interest him.

“I’ve never played Ninja Gaiden, and to be honest, I’m not that interested,” he said in the latest issue of EGM.

“The quality that gets you interested in something is that you feel something for them. Like on TV, or a movie, or a song, or whatever. You just feel something, and you get pulled into it, and then that’s how you pick something up.

“But Ninja Gaiden just didn’t have that power, so that’s why I wasn’t interested in it.”

Japanese developers, eh? Why can’t they all just get along?

Plenty more through there.

1. Gamoc

I…have….the poooowwweerrrrrrrrrrr!

2. Psychotext

Bitchy bunch aren’t they?

3. No_PUDding

Agreed.

I don’t know what to say about a witch who dresses in ehr own hair.

I don’t think that’s very special other than the concept.

4. FireFly

Oh this is fun(ny). I wonder if that other dude’s gonna respond.

5. Gekidami

The other dude got fired… or quit… Depending on who you want to believe…

6. No_PUDding

Yep, and he already responded:

1UP: Ironically, during an interview I did with [Okami director Hideki] Kamiya, he said that he never played Ninja Gaiden, because it didn’t interest him in the least. He described it by saying “You know how when you see a movie trailer, and you decide whether or not it interests you then and there? Well, Ninja Gaiden never caught my interest, so I never played them.” This was when I was asking him why he thought no action games had risen to the challenge of surpassing the original Devil May Cry in the last six years.

TI: Yeah, I don’t really think that’s a fair stance to be coming from. I mean, I make it a point of commenting on something after I’ve played a game. I mean, I’ve played Tekkens 1 to 5. I don’t remember which was which, but I know I’ve played them all. Can you elaborate on what Kamiya said?

1UP: He said that in the years since he laid the groundwork for the modern 3D action game with the original Devil May Cry, nobody’s done anything to push the genre forward, which he’s very disappointed in. And that includes the followups to the original Devil May Cry, and pretty much every other action game since then, whether it’s Shinobi, or Otogi, or even anything you’ve been involved in. The only action game series he seems to have any respect for is God of War.

TI: Was he asleep for eight years?

7. FireFly

What? You call that a response? I was hoping for something textually violent.
    I can’t really agree with either one of them though, as I haven’t played so many action games(or at least of these kinds), but I prefer DMC over NG. As for GoW, I’m playing it right now. It’s greatness.

8. No_PUDding

Hah.

Never got into a single one of the hack and slash games.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma was hard and boring
    God of War was taking itself too seriously and boring
    Devil May Cry seemed floaty, pointless and boring

But I completely understand I am not one of the majority.

9. Dr.Haggard

Boths God of Wars and both Otogis are excellent, but DMC and NG have always struck me as puerile nonsense.

Kamiya makes himself sound like a bit of an idiot here, but then don’t he and Itagaki always come across as arrogant, needy prima donnas anyway? I certainly don’t think either’s portfolio is deserving of the rock star treatment they seem to get, but then I guess someone’s been buying all these DMC games over the years.