Fallout 3′s Hines shrugs off post-E3 preview negativity

Thursday, 28th August 2008 09:01 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fallout327.jpg

Bethesda communications boss Peter Hines has shrugged off post-E3 criticism of Fallout 3, saying he’s not willing to judge negative previews – the most notable of which was this this Eurogamer piece – based on 30 minutes play at the event.

“Everybody has their reasons why they do or don’t like something, so it’s not really for me to say, ‘That’s a good reason not to like it,’ or, ‘That’s not a good reason not to like it,’” said Hines when asked if some negativity surrounding the game after the show surprised him.

“You play the game and you see what you think. At E3 we let people play the game for a half hour, and if in a half hour you can make up your mind one way or the other, OK. I don’t really get into judging the rightness or wrongness of it. I just give people a chance to play it and they draw their own conclusions.”

Hines was speaking at the Bethesda booth at Games Convention last week. Fallout 3′s now been confirmed for an October 28 release in North America, followed by an October 31 launch in Europem so you’ll soon get a chance to judge for yourself.

1. deftangel

People are negative on this game? I’ve seen mostly anticipation and from what I played of it, it’s great…

I’d be more worried about clashing with Fable 2 on the Xbox 360 side of things…. :S

2. patlike

It’s pretty different to Fable II, I guess. I’ll be playing Fallout, but probably not Fable.

3. deanimate

most feedback has been positive with a few bits of negativity here and there. Unless you nip over to NMA win which its mainly negativity with lots of nit picking :D
    gotta love NMA :)

4. patlike

I bet they all love it when it comes out :)

5. No_PUDding

I have to admit if it’s anything as shallow as Oblivion then I’m out.

I loved the days when no one had heard of Morrowind, and THAT was a superb game. But I met the genius behind that, who left during the hellacious development of Oblivion.

6. Tonka

Well as we all know a game is better if few people play it. Look at mega sellers like GTAIII, Halo or RE4. All shit. When I go game hunting I always ask for the least sold titles of the month.

7. lestat

@ Tonka

Enjoying your copy of Barbie Horse Adventures?

8. wz

PUD: The saddest thing is that the story, which is an extremely elaborate masterpiece, is so left out in TES4. I could live with an arcade-y TES game, but they’re not even explaining what is happening and why it is happening in terms of the Elder Scrolls lore.

Oblivion was great fun to mod for, at least.

9. Leathersoup

@ lestat

Don’t pretend that those Barbie games don’t sell more than any ‘AAA’ title that’s put out. They’re like the Wii…

10. absolutezero

I guess im in the majority now, I thought the demo footage looked shockingly bad.

Covered in grey with no difference between wall, floor or sky.

11. No_PUDding

wz exactly.

Infact it’s not even the story. It’s the lore.

I can elborately explian and draw the differing cultures from the vast jungle marhses of Cyrodiil. And yet in Oblivions creation of Cyrodiil, everyone seems to lack the elitism of City dwellers, and everything is apparently based in medievil England.

If anything The Imperial City was supposed to be akin to Venice in infratsructure and expansive.

So many problems, I dont’ care to list them all. It was a massive failute for everyone but the maisntream, thanks for the cynicism Tonka. And I agree that GTAIII was the best GTA.

12. Sicblades

@ deanimate

That’s because people at NMA have played original fallout games.