FFXIII will not release on 360 in Japan

Wednesday, 27th August 2008 08:37 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ffxiii16.jpg

Just in case there was any doubt, Final Fantasy XIII director and writer Motomu Toriyama has told Dengeki (scan here) that the 360 version of the game will definitely not release in Japan.

Just to be clear: “There will absolutely not be an Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII for Japan.”

End of. Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Tiger Walts

You know what that most likely means. No Japanese VA for the Xbox version. I expect some faceless Sony bod to say that HD-DVD wasn’t big enough to handle multiple voice tracks.

2. Shatner

This will now become the gamer culture headline myth now that “MGS4 coming to 360! [rumour]” has run out of steam. I expect to see numerous stories confirming the presence of a Jap FF13 on 360 before the game ever sees the light of day.

/goes back to playing Halo on DS

3. Psychotext

I thought it was pretty clear this wasn’t happening as soon as the announcement was made. Unless they wanted to try and release it 12 months later or something like that (which is probably a bit pointless).

4. patlike

It was confused by that Taiwan announcement, which turned out to be bollocks.

5. ecu

“Unless they wanted to try and release it 12 months later or something like that (which is probably a bit pointless).”

Not really, Square always do this. Every Final Fantasy game gets re-released in the Japan 12 months later. They get it first, and during the translation they find minor bugs and slight modifications, or they add something that’s European-only to compensate for the delay. Then they re-release it in Japan as Final Fantasy (whatever) International. It happened with X and XII, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen with this one.

6. patlike

And I still believe MGS will appear on 360. It might be in a few years time, but they’d be retarded not to do it.

7. bxsentinel

is that smart? considering how well xbox 360 sold in japan after they released the last rpg maybe this is exactly what they need to do; release more games like final fantasy in japan. it will never catch up to the ps3 or wii but at least the xbox will sell at a much better rate!

8. 504BLACK

WHO CARES IM FROM NEW ORLEANS,LA

9. wz

You might like the Saints Row 2 news more, I guess.

10. tony412

I highly doubt that MGS will appear on the 360. Its been a playstation game since the beginning and will most likely stay that way. Although it would be nice to play it on the 360 I think we have a better chance of halo converting to the PS3 before MGS goes 360

11. Gamoc

MGS4 is not going to the 360, why won’t everyone deal with that? Kojima said it won’t. It obviously won’t be ported to the 360, stop with the baseless rumours ¬¬

I thought we’d already been told XIII wouldn’t be released for 360 in Japan?

12. Psychotext

tony412: Technically… no. Because Microsoft owns the Halo IP and Konami (a third party) owns the MGS IP.

13. No_PUDding

Yer there’s way more chance of MGS4 going to the 360.

But now, I don’t think so. It sold very very well for Konami, and I am sure Sony handed some money over, and I am sure it would be a bugger to port aswell – regardless of disk space.