Mario Kart Wii, top of UK charts, blah

Tuesday, 26th August 2008 20:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Mario Kart’s still top of the UK chart, the top five of which have remained freakishly static since last week. Data for the week ending August 23.

1. Mario Kart Wii – Nintendo
  2. Wii Fit – Nintendo
  3. Beijing 2008 – Sega
  4. Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games – Sega
  5. Wii Play – Nintendo
  6. Carnival: Funfair Games – Take Two
  7. Big Beach Sports – THQ
  8. Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training – Nintendo
  9. Wall-E – THQ
  10. Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock – Activision Blizzard

1. Psychotext

Unstoppable

2. patlike

Really is. I’m going to go to see Nintendo soon. They’ve been promising me an interview with their marketing director for ages.

“So. Money. You’ve got lots?”

3. mightyhokie

1 decent game, 9 turds. How are they selling so many units?

4. Psychotext

Casuals don’t care.

5. mightyhokie

True. It’s just sad that a sub-par platform can lap MS and Sony even though both have superior systems. I guess I know what a Mom and Pop burger joint must have felt like when McDonalds came along.
    Nintendo walks around with it’s head held high sort of ‘look how great we are’ when they are not great…they are mediocre at best. Oh well.

6. wz

mightyhokie: I assume Mario Kart is the “decent game”? Because it really is! I like it a lot, and I noticed it’s been my most-often nomination in those Joystick awards.

And that thing about Nintendo is rubbish really – the “superiority” of a system isn’t decided on the drawing board, and Sony and MS have their heads much higher when they constantly complain that they ought to be better.

7. Hero of Canton

Wii Fit’s a cracking piece of software, too. Just because something’s not aimed at you, doesn’t mean it’s a ‘turd’.

8. wz

Hero of Canton: Ah-men! I don’t really understand that Nindendo-bash-rash at all. I mean, look at the three or four currently sold consoles, look at what people want and buy, and tell me which one is, by a large margin, the superior one.

9. Psychotext

You’re not really suggesting that popular = superior are you?

10. No_PUDding

Psychotext I am with you.

What has Nintendo done? Made a Gamecube in a clean cheap box, and made all the crap peripherals no one used to like.

And you are wrong, the logic of opinions tells me, if I don’t like it, it IS infact a turd.

11. wz

Yeah, I know that sucked. :D I just cannot follow those people who cannot understand, or simply ignore, that a lot of people really have more fun with those games. I’d even dare say it’s more people who like casual gaming, so why be so elitist about that? Makes me sick.

12. Psychotext

wz: People see it as a threat to the sort of games they enjoy playing. That’s why they don’t like it.

13. No_PUDding

Why does it make you sick?

We have experienced things that people playing Wii Sports, Space Invaders and Solitaire haven’t. We kind of have a right to be elitist, because the games are great and simple, but they aren’t a compromise.

They work purely for those people who moan about video games, and think that’s where it should stay; as a simple arcade experience.

14. Hero of Canton

It’s not a threat to conventional gaming, though. It’s just another branch of videogaming. There will always be more hardcore experiences.

15. wz

I had a very long and elaborate comment ready, but I felt like him, so I just leave.