Kojima concedes he may stay with Metal Gear for fifth game

Monday, 25th August 2008 07:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Speaking to Kikizo at E3, Konami creative legend Hideo Kojima admitted that he may well end up producing a fifth Metal Gear game. Never saw that coming.

“When we look ten years into the future, maybe yes, I may well end up spending more time on the Metal Gear series,” he said.

“I always intend to stay true to these statements; I do always say what I actually feel at that time, after each Metal Gear, when I say I am going to move on to the next project.

“But it’s like when Hayao Miyazaki says he is not going to do more, and then always ends up doing it.”

There’s a full interview here.

1. ecu

I hope he moves on to a new IP. Or gives us another ZOE.

2. Quiiick

If there will be another big “Metal Gear” game (and this is almost written in stone), I hope Kojima San will be leading the team again.
    “Metal Gear” without the master himself is just not the same!

But a new IP on top of that, also lead by Kojima San, will be very welcome as well. :)

3. Michael

Kojima has been saying the most recent Metal Gear Solid will be his last one since before I even started puberty.

It’s getting incredibly repetitive hearing it over and over again at this stage.

4. BraveArse

I have loads of respect for Kojima but ( imo of course ) to compare himself to Miyazaki – the man behind Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke and so many more outrageously masterful films – is a stretch to say the least.

/is a Miyazaki fanboy

5. Gamoc

No, it’s not a stretch, BraveArse (cool name :D) – masterpieces in their respective fields.

I want a new IP, or a ZOE, maybe. Something new – though I would love another MGS, where would it even go? Snake is out of the picture, if they’re introducing a new character there needs to be a new storyline.

6. No_PUDding

No, I agree with BraveArse, and I am not a fanboy. I loved MGS4, but that’s about the most pride induced thing he’s ever said. I am quite shocked.

Anyway, another Metal Gear, would go well with me. But I’d love a new IP, or Snatcher 2.

7. BraveArse

Respective fields I could agree with, if his games weren’t actually movies interupted with 15 minutes of gameplay here and there.

I love his gameplay, it’s always innovative and filled with humour – absolutely hate his emo-ridden teenage angsty statement-of-the-obvious cutscenes and am dreading getting to the 90 minute one in MGS4 – it’s almost certain to come at 1am when I really want to go to bed.

8. Gamoc

There are no 90 minute cutscenes, longest is an hour and if you’re not interested you can skip it (or pause it to go piss). I spent more time playing the game than I did watching the cutscenes, so you’re wrong. Geniuses in their respective fields.

9. Psychotext

Gamoc: A one hour cutscene is still pretty long. \o/

10. BraveArse

I’m not wrong – simply have a different opinion. I am allowed one am I not? ;)

11. Michael

Brave: Not as far as Gamoc is concerned, apparently.

The Metal Gears games are certainly distinctive, and definitely have their own unique touch, but masterpieces? Messy and convoluted storytelling that is far too heavy-handed for its own good, and a combat system that feels more dated the longer its around… no thanks. Its a series that really needs to start from scratch.

Still, great games.

12. wz

Are you sure he wasn’t trying to be modest and understating with that comparison?

I expected no less than “you know, I wanted to finish my creation and let it slip, but God already did that, so I might come back soon”.

13. Quiiick

@ Gamoc
    “… though I would love another MGS, where would it even go? Snake is out of the picture, if they’re introducing a new character there needs to be a new storyline …

You can always go back on the timeline. They call it a “prequel”.

Maybe a game about Solid Snake’s Childhood. Or a game focusing on the “Patriots” foundation. Ore about Eva’s son (father: Big Boss) who nobody knew about. The possibilities are endless …

14. Gamoc

That’s true, they could make a prequel.

BraveArse – I never meant your opinion was wrong, I meant you were wrong about the 90 minute cutscenes :)

15. wickedman

you guys can say what you want but when the new MGS comes out you be the ones first on line to get it

16. wz

Ehehe, no.

I liked the first one when it came out, played it at a friend’s, but never had any interest since then.

17. No_PUDding

So none of you liked it?

I gotta say, the cutscenes were totally skippable, and the gameplay is FULL of stuff to do. As well as it being varied and entertaining.

Michael, you sound really stupid. A series that needs to ‘start from scratch’, but are all ‘great games’?
    I’d definately call it a masterpiece if peices of overstated crap like Bioshock are dubbed masterpieces. Yes.

Basically it’s one of the few games this generation that was different, and it kept my attention longer than GTAIV. So that’s an achievement.

18. Gamoc

I loved MGS4, and 3, and 2. Strangely, never played the first.

I loved the cutscenes, the storyline, the gameplay, the general epicness of it all.

19. BraveArse

“Michael, you sound really stupid. A series that needs to ’start from scratch’, but are all ‘great games’?”

Uncalled for imo – differing opinions in no way imply stupidity – calling someone stupid because of that difference, however, when you can’t even get your ” I before E, except after C” right is definitely in pot/kettle/black territory.

Personally I like the game, hate the cutscenes. I feel the need to watch the things because I want to know why I’m doing whatever it is I’m supposed to be doing, but resent the frequency, length and content of them. I could probably even enjoy them if they weren’t so frequent and so long.

They represent exactly the same frustration to me as HL2s loading screens which ( again purely imo ) were a real deal breaker in terms of the flow of the gameplay and the flow of the story.

“Quick! Run up these stairs! Hurry!”

20. Michael

Well, you’re certainly a polite one.

Yes, they are / were great games. Even a great game can have flaws though, and MGS4 feels especially out-dated on the rare occasions you actually get to move around. It’s system clunky, awkward and restrictive, and severely in need of an overhaul; kinda like Tomb Raider did after Angel of Darkness.

Just because I’m aware of the problems of the game doesn’t mean I can’t admire what’s good about it too.

21. No_PUDding

I am mixed up between apologising and continuing with this.

I will apologise first, I am sorry; I had no reason to say you were stupid. Other than the glaring oxymoron, that I have yet to see justified.

If something needs to start from scratch, doesn’t that mean it’s irreparable and not great because of that?

22. wz

No_PUDding: See the Tomb Raider example Michael gave for justification, it’s a good one.

23. No_PUDding

It’s not…

An overhaul was the more Western developments in MGS4. That for me was an overhaul. And short of that, all you can do is lose Metal Gear Solid completely, and skip the cutscenes.