Chances of PS3 Left 4 Dead “50-50″

Saturday, 23rd August 2008 10:14 GMT By Patrick Garratt

left4dead10.jpg

According to this CVG story, Valve’s Doug Lombardi said at Games Convention this week that there’s still a “50-50″ chance of a PS3 version of Left 4 Dead coming out. Don’t expect to see it any time soon, whatever happens.

“There’s zero chance of it happening this year,” he said. “It’s something that’s being talked about right now as the game is gaining popularity and looking like it’s going to be a hit.”

More through the link.

1. Gekidami

Looks like a flop to me, but oh well, it’ll sell on “Its a Valve game!” hype alone…

2. deanimate

cant remember if this is PC only or of 360 is getting it but this game…on a joypad?! the game where you need to be on your damn toes with whats going on around you, flipping around in milliseconds, aiming accurately….i dont think so PS3 or 360.

PC wins again.

3. Whizzo

360 and PC but I wouldn’t dream of playing this on the 360 if only for the fact Valve gives so much content away on PC but can’t on console.

4. morriss

I’m forced to play it on 360 as my PC would basically laugh at me when I put the Left 4 Dead disc in.

5. deanimate

how come? rubbish graphics card? 4850 is a tidy price these days. even if you need mobo, ram, cpu as well thats still not too bad. plus you’re sorted for a while then :D

6. Psychotext

Gekidami: Flop? It’s one of the most anticipated PC games at the moment.

7. No_PUDding

Most anticipated indeed.

Out of a selection of Crysis Warhead and itself.

8. Quiiick

Comment on ps3fanboy.com :
    “… All Valve is saying is that they’re seeing dollar signs now, where before they didn’t. If it costs them an extra month of work to make a PS3 game and the sales won’t be high, to them, it’s not worth it.

These guys are good at what they do, but unfortunately they don’t seem as talented as other developers. And by talent I mean the ability to stay flexible, learn new architectures and code in unconventional ways. In my opinion, console coders have always been more talented than PC developers, and consoles are nice because once you get your head around the hardware, you can always depend on the platform being the same. It’s not like PC coding where you may have to insert 4 gigs worth of hacks to get it running on 6 flavors of vista, 3 flavors of XP and maybe even Windows2000, not to mention the 18,000 graphics cards out there.

Maybe they will surprise me with a 100% in-house game for the PS3 but I seriously doubt that’ll ever happen. Personally I think they should exit the console market and stick with PC gaming forever.”

And you know what … I agree!

9. Psychotext

Quiick: They don’t have any PS3 developers… they’d need to hire a team before they do anything at all, and that costs a significant amount of money. It’s no wonder they didn’t want to take any risk for potentially poor sales on the PS3, especially when EA would do the porting for them.

10. Quiiick

Do you think EA ported the Orange Box for free? ;)

Anyways, I don’t think I will ever buy a Valve-game again!

I don’t like Gabe (as you might know ;) ), I don’t like their general attitude and I thought HL2 was a really boring game!

11. Psychotext

Of course they didn’t do it for free. But there’s absolutely no risk in it for Valve. EA would have taken it on for a percentage (probably a huge percentage) of the revenue from the game.

Even if they paid EA a lump sum to get the port done there’s a big difference between that and taking on staff with all their associated costs.

12. Quiiick

Of course, I know that. But I doubt it was worth the endeavour.

As you mentioned, Valve did not make a lot of money on this deal but It really added to their already bad reputation: the PS3 port was horrible and this has only ONE meaning: Valve couldn’t care less about their fans!

Edit: It will not hurt EA though, because after all it’s NOT EA’s game.

13. Quiiick

… even the 360 port is quite buggy. It crashed several times on my 360!
    And let me remind you: This is already the second time they port the very same game to the xBox-platform!