Video: Gabe Newell talks you through Left 4 Dead

Friday, 22nd August 2008 10:06 GMT By Mike

Watch below as Valve’s Gabe Newell talks you through some Left 4 Dead gameplay. We’re pumped for this one, and this video only heightens our sense of potency.

We had a chance to catch up with Gabe Newell at Games Convention this week and he revealed, amongst other things, that Left 4 Dead will follow the Team Fortress 2 content update model. So read that if you haven’t already.

By Mike Bowden

1. Espad

holy monkeys dribble, i want this game!

2. Blerk

Nope. Still not feeling it. It’s too fast, too twitch. Ruins the atmosphere.

3. Quiiick

Kill. pussycat, kill, kill … too fast, too meh!

The remarks about “healing” (in demo part 1) were funny though. Men are so stupid!

4. Quiiick

… and those outlines of alies & enemies look really ugly and destroy the whole atmosphere.

But I must confess: I’m biased, I really don’t like this Gabe Newell, for years now.
    His remarks about the PS3 are the most stupid words I ever heard from someone representing the games-industry.

5. deanimate

does seem a bit too repetitive.
    too simplistic as well. zombies run at you, shoot them, repeat. much more interested in far cry 2 than this.

6. Psychotext

Quiiick: What did he say about the PS3?

7. Quiiick

Gabe Newell’s Quote: “… I think [PS3 is] a waste of everybody’s time. Investing in the Cell, investing in the SPE gives you no long-term benefits. There’s nothing there that you’re going to apply to anything else. You’re not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they’ve created. I don’t think they’re going to make money off their box. I don’t think it’s a good solution …”
    Link

8. Truk

“Investing in the Cell, investing in the SPE gives you no long-term benefits. There’s nothing there that you’re going to apply to anything else. You’re not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they’ve created.”

Well I’m pretty certain that’s nonsense. CPUs are going towards multi-core, parallel architectures, similar to that of the Cell. The lessons learnt from PS3 development will certainly be useful in the future.

The hatred bit might be true, though.

9. Blerk

I think he’s pretty much right, to be honest. Whether it’s the sort of thing he should be saying in public or not is another thing altogether. It’s not exactly going to do EA’s PS3 ports of his games much good, business-wise.

10. Whizzo

Gabe really only cares about the PC, the consoles are a sideshow to him.

11. Quiiick

“… There’s nothing there that you’re going to apply to anything else …”

If I would apply this “rule” to the creative work I’m doing in my job … well, the results would be really, really boring, for sure …

And that’s exactly what happend to L4D, … no wonder ;)

12. No_PUDding

Well to be fair, he’s been more fair recently, but the PS3 has had a lot of money invested in by Sony to make it easier, or to teach other programmers.

But I don’t hate him for that at all. He can see that the PS3 is going to be worth peoples time now.

And more to the point, this game looks fun, but it doesn’t make me want to buy it. The Zombies I ahve seen shovign throguh corridors does look fun though.

13. Psychotext

He doesn’t have to worry about it really… they’re not going to employ PS3 programmers as they have EA covering their ports for them.

14. No_PUDding

Sorry to double post (I didn’t), but needs an awesome kick button, ala Dark Messiah or Wolfenstein!

15. Quiiick

“… But I don’t hate him for that at all. He can see that the PS3 is going to be worth peoples time now …”

I don’t hate him for saying all this stupid stuff either.
    I hate him for being so fat and ugly, to be honest. His physical appearance, the tone of his voice, this really makes me feel uncomfortable. I know it’s not fair, but I can’t change my gut-feelings.

Compare this to John Carmack of “id”. Every time I see or hear anything of him, I feel warm inside. Makes me comfortable. I really adore this guy.

16. Psychotext

Quiiick: You’re a cock. Seriously, you hate him because he’s fat and ugly? You’d better look like a supermodel.

17. morriss

It’s the hidden PS3 rage that comes out in people when top, top, developers say the console isn’t worth their time.

I’ve seen comments on other sites that have posted our Gabe Newell interview and all it was was PS3 Fanboys crying yet again about The Orange Box Port 100 years ago.

Terrible really.

Either buy a 360, a decent PC or stfu. Easy.

18. Quiiick

@ Psychotext
    No, it’s not that way! Sorry I may have used the wrong words here (english is not ma native language). I don’t hate fat people in general, most fatties are very handsome. It’s just this guy !!! There’s something about his physical appearance that almost makes me …

19. Blerk

So basically Quiiick fancies John Carmack and doesn’t fancy Gabe Newell. I think that’s what he’s getting at. :-)

20. morriss

:D

21. Psychotext

He might be a chubby chaser too! /o\

22. Quiiick

@ Blerk
    Yeah. that’s basically it! :)
    (It goes a little bit beyond that though, but I don’t have the words to describe it …)

23. Quiiick

… chubby chaser? What’s that?

24. Psychotext

This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chubby_chaser

Mostly because of this: “I don’t hate fat people in general, most fatties are very handsome.”

25. No_PUDding

morriss, even buying a 360 very of the ornage box doesn’t work very nicely.

But I agree, it makes me angry such a talented developer is so ignorant, becuase it’s clearly a very difficult but powerful machine.

Half Life 2 wasn’t that special to me, but Half Life was legendary. And Portal is unbelievable, not becuase I enjoyed the puzzles (sorry Still Alive) but becuase it’s an awesome ‘Truman Show’-esque story.

He’ll have to warm to it eventually.

26. Quiiick

Back from shopping, where I met a “girl” which I haven’t seen for at least 35 years … ;) … had a nice chat …

@ Psychotext
    Thanks for the info. So “handsome” was again a wrong term I used. :(

Can’t we all just write in swiss-german here?

27. Psychotext