“Portal: Still Alive is extra challenges with a disregard for story”

Friday, 22nd August 2008 14:34 GMT By Mike

Joystiq has taken a look at XBLA title Portal: Still Alive, and has said that the game is just “extra challenges with a disregard for story.”

From the piece:

If your wish for Portal: Still Alive is extra challenges with a disregard for story than this Arcade release is exactly what you want as it controls as well as it ever has with an Xbox 360 controller. However, if the realization that the additional content will solely be based on gameplay with a complete disregard for an additional story then Still Alive may have you worried that the Portal train is making an unnecessary stop on Microsoft’s Arcade.

Full thing through the link.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

Buy Portal or buy Orange Box…. buy Portal or buy Orange Box?

/weighs up the options
    /thinks
    /weighs up some more
    /spends money on a really nice sandwich instead

2. morriss

I got my 60Gb 360 today. Traded in the Halo 3 console, GTA IV (meeeeehhh) and Guitar Hero III with Guitar plus £25.

Done.

3. Blerk

Even I like GTA, you mentalist!

4. Whizzo

Remember, morriss is someone who bought a Halo 3 360, his judgement is rather suspect!

5. morriss

For me, the mark of a game worth keeping is when you’re away from it, even if it’s for a few days, every now and then you think: “Must get back to that” etc.

When I think about GTA after having put it down after around 12 or so hours total play time I think: “Wow. I’ve still got this” and then completely forget it again.

6. No_PUDding

You are crazy for liking it. unless you never played a GTA last generation.

The only eason I keep it is to see Euphoria. Damn that’s geeky, but it’s funny and impressive, so I don’t care. And I keep all my games.

I still ahve Splinter Cell Double Agent, and that’s the worst game I played this generation, specifically because it’s a PS3 choppy framerate port.

7. Psychotext

So this has the story part and a bunch of extra puzzles on top? Win.

8. morriss

No. It doesn’t. read again.

“disregard” for story

psychotextlol

9. No_PUDding

No story, just puzzles.

10. Psychotext

“However, if the realization that the additional content will solely be based on gameplay with a complete disregard for an additional story”

Additional content will have no story. The original game is still intact.

“Those who were unfortunate enough to never play the original Portal are in luck as Portal: Still Alive is essentially the exact same experience but with a few added bonuses.”

morrisslol

11. morriss

But this isn’t the original game. It’s just extra levels. Nothing else.

12. Psychotext

Incorrect. It’s the original game plus additional levels. Contact your sources.

“With Portal: Still Alive, you’re getting the original game that comes in The Orange Box,” an Xbox representative told us.”

/continues victory dance, with added taunts

Hey Pat, if you ever want to start paying for writers give me a call. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. ;)

13. No_PUDding

Well yer… But you can already get the game…

I just got it for PC :D

14. morriss

You still lose, psycho.

15. morriss

From the Wiki:

Portal: Still Alive

Portal: Still Alive was announced as an exclusive Xbox Live Arcade game at the 2008 E3 convention to be released sometime later in 2008, and will feature new levels and achievements.[42] The additional content will be drawn from levels from the map pack based on “Portal: The Flash Version” created by We Create Stuff and will contain no additional story-related levels.[43] According to Valve spokesman Doug Lombardi, Valve has been in discussion with Microsoft to bring Portal to Xbox Live Marketplace, but was limited by the amount of bandwidth that Microsoft is willing to allow for such content.

16. morriss

17. Psychotext

No… additional… story. Original game, plus additional levels with no… additional… story.

Why is this so hard to understand? It wouldn’t be so bad but it’s in the very article you linked!

18. morriss

Right, well, I didn’t know that. :) All I thought it was, was just new levels within the Portal world.

19. morriss

heh. Seems like I wrote that story too.

I need a lie down.

20. No_PUDding

So Portal is a downloadable now… with extra levels. Nice.

Why no story? You don’t have to hire a voice actor…

21. Psychotext

This is really no different to the standalone Steam version with some DLC. I’m not sure what people are expecting given there’s a Portal 2 due out at some point.

22. Blerk