Retailers who stick with PS2 for Christmas will reap the benefits, says Tesco

Thursday, 21st August 2008 14:59 GMT By Mike

Speaking with MCV, Tesco’s Matthew Cushway – a member of the MCV Retail Advisory Board – has said that retailers who “stick with PS2 this Christmas will reap the benefits.”

“PlayStation 2 still has a key part to play in the gaming market this year,” he said. “It seems some people forget that for a large number of young families the outlay for a new console is a major decision and is simply not an option in the current economy.”

“With the PlayStation 2 install base I believe that many younger-skewed games will again perform very well this year,” he went on.

“Retailers who stick with the PS2 format for Christmas this year will reap the benefits.”

More PS2 love through the link.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

I suspect the PS2 will have a much better Christmas than anyone would’ve guessed.

2. Psychotext

I’m going in the other direction… I reckon it wont do anything like what it did last xmas and will be eclipsed by everything else unless there’s stock issues.

3. Blerk

He’s talking about games, not machines, though.

4. No_PUDding

Turkish Singstar really sealed the deal for me.

I kid, cynically.

I actually have a B/C PS3.

5. Whizzo

Given how the credit crunch, fuel price increases, inflation and other money worries are for a lot people this year it’s not too much of a stretch to think that new consoles are probably low on Christmas purchasing plans.

6. Psychotext

Blerk: Then I reckon he’s well off. PS2 games haven’t featured prominently in the charts for a long time and I don’t see this xmas being any different. I guess it comes down to how much profit they’re pulling on them lately though.

Observe:

7. Truk

Yeah, go back to Christmas 1984. Felt tip pens and a bumper colouring-in book. Damn kids don’t know they’re born. Grumble. Etc.

8. Whizzo

Felt tips pens?! What luxury!!

9. Blerk

We had to colour in things we drew on the floor with our own blood and faeces!

10. Truk

:-D

Did they even have drawing when you were young?

11. Whizzo

Only on cave walls, it made designing UDGs for the Spectrum quite tricky at times.

12. trav

Budget titles, 2 for £30 and games like that will do well enough for the people who put them on the shelf this Xmas. They just won’t be reported on over the big hitters that arrive on the 360, PS3 and Wii.

The PSOne had a long shelf life even after the release of PS2. The PS2 should have the same thing as well, especially with the huge user-base the PS2 managed to gain.

13. No_PUDding

For my sixth Birthday I got an Aesop’s Fables Book. Bearing in midn I couldn’t read, and it was never read to me, I think that’s a pretty meager present. But I was happy. And it’s only meager in hindsight.

We young’uns aren’t all stupid. Or alternatively I could say get with the times.