Sony has lost more on the PS3 than it made on the PS2, says Perry

Tuesday, 19th August 2008 20:08 GMT By Mike

Speaking at the Games Convention Developers Conference this afternoon, industry stalwart Dave Perry said that Sony has lost more money selling PlayStation 3s than it made selling PlayStation 2s during the entire five years of its peak.

Perry backed up the statement quoting statistics that he obtained from research firm, DFC Intelligence.

He added that according to DFC Intelligence, Microsoft lost $4 billion dollars on the original Xbox and the PS3 is first in overall software sales this gen.

Loads more over at 1UP.

By Mike Bowden

1. Psychotext

He’s a bit late to the party. You could tell this from their financial reports a year ago.

2. Robo_1

Did he just say PS3 has sold more software than 360 and Wii? That can’t be right, surely.

3. Psychotext

It’s a DFC prediction rather than a fact based on current data.

“Perry didn’t use this point to take any particular stance on this console race — though he did state that DFC Intelligence puts the Wii as the victor this generation, with the PS3 coming in first in terms of overall software sales”

4. Quiiick

Life as it should be: They pay you to play their game. ;)

5. mightyhokie

I don’t understand that. Okay, the Wii has sold more software (even though it is 99% crap) because it has sold more consoles. However, MS has sold more 360s than Sony has sold PS3s, and there are like literally 3 times the games (other than PS2games that people might play on their PS3) worth playing on the 360. You are saying that this is a prediction but I have to say it is a rather poor prediction if it is. I don’t have any numbers, so maybe I’m just full of shit, but I do know lots of gamers and the story is all the same. For every PS3 owner I know (I have both the PS3 and 360) I know 10 360 owners. The PS3 owners might have five games, and the 360 owners might have 10-15.

As for Nintendo winning this generation, I have to say that in sales of consoles yes they have. However, I can’t see anyone going out and buying a Wii 2 in a couple of years, can you?

Just my observation.

6. FireFly

@Quiiick: That is the life.
    @mightyhokie: That second sentence isn’t true. Selling more consoles doesn’t necessarily mean more software as well, and in this case it’s exactly that.

7. mightyhokie

yes, that makes sense. but I assume that since the wii has sold over twice the consoles as MS, and if the average wii user has 3 games, then MS would have to sell 7 games per console in order to out sell Nintendo. I am an artist, so my math may be fuzzy. hehe

8. No_PUDding

And really, Microsoft doesn’t have 3 times more must-have games…. not exclusively anyway.

If they did, I probabaly would own one by now.

And I think people also don’t realise just how much Sony has caught up in terms of hardware. According to Microsoft’s and Sony’s numbers respectively, they have really dug their heels in, and take a 5 million chunk out of the 360 lead.

And that’s just in NA.

9. morriss

It’s only outselling the 360 by around 30-50k a month. That’s nothing substanial considering the 360 has quite a few million head-start.

10. No_PUDding

Yes, last year it had a dozen million head-start; the point is neither console will stop the blockbusters, and neither have their aces anymore.

So now it’s truly a software duel to influence the hardware more than ever.

And Microsoft is MUCH better at marketing.

Let’s see how things go. Marketing creates the blockbusters if you ask me, the mainstream is much more willing to follow a great ad campaign than a great game.

11. Quiiick

@ No_PUDding
    “… And Microsoft is MUCH better at marketing …”

At marketing what?
    Games? No, not better than everyone else!
    A console ecosystem? This is definitely Sony’s home turf!

12. No_PUDding

I’d say both…

Wii is great, on a casual level, it’s really capturing the attention of casuals everywhere.

But Microsoft has GREAT advertisisng campaigns. Bioshock, ‘Under the Sea’, Gears of War ‘Mad World’, Halo 3 American Idol, Mountain Dew and ‘Believe’.

Especially in comparison to Sony’s ‘high brow’, ‘in-joke’ pretentiously directed advertising.

Ofcourse I am speaking purely about TV adverts, but efforts of Microsofts side in terms of viral, and website advertising has been far beyond that of Sony’s. GTAIV comes to mind.

13. Quiiick

@ No_PUDding
    What you say about Microsoft’s marketing may be true for the US. But it certainly does not apply to central Europe.

And you are? Yankee? Brit? …?

14. Psychotext

Quiiick: Sony’s PS3 marketing sucked the world over. You remember the cup stacking ad, the poodle ad, the start living ad with the woman on the crapper?

It was only when they started showing the games that things got better.

15. No_PUDding

I am a Brit born and bred, and I agree, the insularity of both Britain and America, means Microsoft’s advertising suits NA and Britain better than the rest of Europe.

But seriously, I have lived in Central Europe (very central Europe – Hungary), and not only is a PS3 not really viable there but more to the point, the pretentious advertising that was out there alienated everyone in Europe too.

16. Quiiick

“… You remember the cup stacking ad, the poodle ad, the start living ad with the woman on the crapper? …”

Yes I do, and please forgive me but I really liked these ads a lot!

I don’t need stupid “gamey”-ads which show render-movies or gameplay-clips to me! I get all of this (and much better) from somewhere else: it’s called the internet!

17. Psychotext

I’m not sure I can forgive you for liking those ads. I’m so sorry. :)

18. No_PUDding

The good one was where the household items started exploding in that old woman’s house. But that may have been PS2.

There is marketing pretentiously and there is marketing to the mainstream. Generally the pretentious stuff is left to companies like Jaguar/Mercedes, because you assume the people who will buy it will share the same views. Microsoft bet on the mainstream, cleverly, with mainstream advertising.

Sony was pretentious, regardless of you liking it. It’s not clever marketing.

19. Quiiick

These ads were absolutely perfect to introduce you to the PS3 back then!
    I wouldn’t air them now though!
    Today Sony should do ads (tv-ads that is) like the ones they did for the PS2 some years ago. Remember this ad where a bunch of people were climbing atop a “pyramid” made out of thousands of other humans in the middle of a large city? One of the greatest ads I’ve ever seen in my life!

20. Psychotext

That’s the thing. The PS2 adverts were absolutely fantastic… yet they sacked the advertising group responsible for them and went with the poodle people. Who doesn’t remember the PS9 advert or the “third place” stuff?

(I must say that the poodle thing is especially annoying me because they’re using it for formula 1 at the moment)

21. No_PUDding

Never heard of it.

And I ttoally disagree with you. It doesn’t matter waht you like. It matters what sells software/hardware.

And Sony’s pretentious advertisisng appealed to the minority, which means it isn’t clever advertisisng. Even if you think as a media it’s clever, or impressive.

22. Quiiick

@ No_PUDding
    Introductory advertising of this kind HAS to be pretentious!
    (dictionary: attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed)

And there’s absolutely nothing wrong about that, just because this term is commonly used to describe something inappropriate. It is very appropriate for this kind of marketing IMO.

23. No_PUDding

Well I totally disagree. PS2 was a major success becuase it was mainstream, and ‘pretentious’ advertisisng alienates some of the audience.

Introductory or not, advertising should never alienate the audience.

And I meant pretentious in message. It’s obscure and indulgent – becuase of their previous success.

24. Quiiick

@ No_PUDding
    You can’t do “hard selling” to introduce a product like the PS3 (starting price: ā‚¬600!) to the masses! No way! This would go horribly wrong. You have to build up an “image” first. Nothing more, nothing less!

The way the Americans did it, was awfull! (This “white room” with babies and so on …)

25. Quiiick

@ No_PUDding
    “… Introductory or not, advertising should never alienate the audience.

Don’t get me wrong! I do agree with some of what you say.
    Maybe they took it a little bit too far with the “This is living”-campaign, but the direction was right!

26. No_PUDding

I don’t think it was.

The reason it wasn’t is because it was lost. It was lost on the audience, it was also lost in direction.

The adverts did nothing to specify what the PS3 was supposed to be. And a PS2 has always been sold as a gaming console. This time they tried to sell it as a media centre out of the box, and that was what took it too far. It was too vague and the adverts focused on the pretentious nature more than anything.

And I am sorry, but a mainstream advertisement showing a family sitting around a PS3 playing games, watching Blu-Rays and DVD’s, listening to music, and viewing photos would have gone further than those adverts EVER did.

The Wii didn’t even need the features, for that capmaign to work.

27. Quiiick

Here it is:
    “Fun anyone?”-campaign for PS2

Now I need some sleep … ;)

28. No_PUDding

Agreed, but the PS2 ones were great.