Used 60Gb PS3s selling for more than new 80Gb in UK

Monday, 18th August 2008 19:27 GMT By Mike

UK retailer GAME is selling a handful of used 60Gb Playstation3s for the princely sum of £349.99 and upwards.

This is £50 more than the new 80Gb model which is heavily rumoured to be hitting UK shores this Friday.

In fact, 60Gb models have been selling for around £400 on Amazon, which, combined with GAME’s high pricing, could mean that backwards compatibility is something people want and are willing to pay extra for.

Just a hunch.

By Mike Bowden

1. Syrok

You know, I’m seriously thinking about selling my 60Gb version.

2. captaineurogamer

Sorry for my ignorance but does the bacwards compatibilty also work for PSone games too. Then I can undersatnd fully. Because I will want it too.

3. Syrok

All versions can play PS1 games, no?

4. FireFly

Yeah all versions play PS1 games.
    That hunch needs to be drilled into Sony’s head, just like “TEN YEARS!!” is in ours.

5. Panipal2005

There’s even some PS1 games that can be bought as downloadables from the PS store (you wouldn’t know it, though, and there’s nowhere near as many as there is in the Japan store)

6. Psychotext

No-one is interested in BC… which is why these models are selling for so much.

7. morriss

I detect sarcasm…

8. Robo_1

I wonder if Sony have a redesigned PS2 with an upscaler chip and HDMI waiting in the wings? 20 year plan :)

9. Truk

Or a small but sufficient number of people are interested in BC, thus pushing the price up. Or, yeah, a “handful” of 60GB’s being sold for inflated prices means *everyone* wants BC.

10. Psychotext

Who said everyone? It’s clear that a bunch of people do though.

11. Truk

But is it enough for them to bother? I’m still not convinced anyone but a small number of gaming geeks care about BC. If it costs too much to put the BC back in and they’re not going to get significant extra sales, why should they bother?

12. Psychotext

We’ve done this argument before… so we’ll leave it where it is methinks. Shatner is waiting on the sidelines for it with his half page posts.

13. Truk

Fair enough. BC is barely an issue. I’ll leave it there.