80Gb PS3 out on Friday in the UK, August 28 in Australia

Monday, 18th August 2008 07:20 GMT By Patrick Garratt

VG247′s received confirmation from a GameStation employee that the 80Gb PS3 is indeed out in the UK this Friday, August 22, as has been previously rumoured.

The retailer’s pre-order page is here. It’s the same price as the current 40Gb model: £299.99.

IGN’s also carrying confirmation that the new SKU will release on August 28 in Australia. The box will cost $699.

1. Shatner

Oh goody. Can we have another short-sighted and insular argument about how back-compatibility is the most important thing in the world ever?

2. morriss

Yeah, we can.

It’s ridiculous that they don’t put it back in. Not ridiculous from a Sony Corp. making money point of view, but ridiculous from a PS3 sales point of view and getting those millions and millions of PS2 owners with vast back catalogues of games to make the leap to the PS3.

/sticks fingers in ears

/lalalalalalalalalalaal

3. Shatner

10 Print “You are wrong”
    20 Goto 10

RUN

/runs

4. morriss

I’m right and I know I am. If they put it back, advertise that it’s back, you’ll see a bigger sales spike than MGS4.

GUARANTEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Blerk

I thought this was already way past “rumour”? Every gaming store on the Interweb has been advertising it as ‘this Friday’ since the beginning of last week! :-D

Should make for a nice sales spike, anyway – my local Asda had a sign up when I went shopping yesterday to say that 60gb 360s were “temporarily out of stock”.

6. Killerbee

I’ll be getting one on Friday. Can’t wait. :)

The only dilemma I’m left with is that none of the retailers have announced any bundle deals yet, so I expect to spend Friday morning trawling the high street trying to find out who’s got the best deal.

With any luck Game / Gamestation will just offer the same bundle deals that they’re offering on the 40GB…