I Am Alive takes “more realistic approach to survival,” says DarkWorks

Thursday, 14th August 2008 15:25 GMT By Patrick Garratt

iamalive.jpg

DarkWorks founder Guillaume Gouraud has told VG247 that I Am Alive – the Ubisoft survival horror rumoured and then debunked as Jade Raymond’s new game – is set to renew the genre with realism.

“We want to take this realistic approach to enlarge the genre, because it’s much more universal,” said the developer boss.

“We’ve been shifting from classic survival horror from back in 2001 with Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare, and we started to introduce disaster aspect with Cold Fear.

“Now we are moving to a more realistic approach to survival, and that’s what we want to renew and bring with this new game.”

Gouraud told us that he now thinks DarkWorks – known for its horror games – is big enough to extend its reach and take on action projects of any kind.

“We’re also very pleased with our growth,” he said. “I think we are already one of the major European studios with 120 people… We think 2009 will be where we shine. We’re set for a new stage.”

I Am Alive – announced at E3 and set in a post-earthquake Chicago – isn’t going to be shown next week at Leipzig according to Ubi. Don’t be amazingly shocked if it is, however.

1. Whizzo

So it’s Next-Gen “SOS:The Final Escape” then?

That’s not a bad thing in my book.

2. patlike

They’re a good studio. That Alone in the Dark game and Cold Fear were both good.

3. pjmaybe

Congratulations – so far that’s the only story I’ve seen that talks about I Am Alive without mentioning Jade Raymond.

Aside from the links at the bottom of the piece. Good Job Pat-rappa

4. Blerk

I bought their Alone in the Dark game for the PS2 about five years ago for two quid and never got around to playing it.

And I always meant to pick up Cold Fear but never did.

So…. maybe this time. The lack of an ‘Atari’ logo on the cover may be an incentive. :-D

5. Syrok

I’d bet that there’ll be zombies. :|

6. patlike

Just mad men after water, from the look of it.

7. pjmaybe

Cold Fear was ace but I have vague memories of that AITD being a bag o’ shite.

8. Syrok

@pat: That would be good. :)