Levine on System Shock 3: “Would I turn my nose up at another round with Shodan? No”

Wednesday, 13th August 2008 13:51 GMT By Patrick Garratt

systemshock2.jpg

2K Boston’s Ken Levine has told VG247 that he “loves” the world of System Shock and would be interested in a third game in the EA-owned series if the opportunity arose.

“Would I turn my nose up at another round with Shodan? No,” he said.

When asked specifically if he would ever make System Shock 3, Levine said: “Life is long. Who knows. But right now, certainly, I’m engaged with my employer, Take-Two, who doesn’t have ownership of that franchise.”

He added: “I love Shodan, I love the world.”

System Shock has been dead for almost ten years now, with System Shock 2 releasing in 1999.

Levine is currently working on a secret project at Take-Two, while BioShock 2 is being built primarily at 2K Marin in California.

1. Blerk

Do we know why EA have mothballed the license? It seems pretty beloved among the PC crowd, so I’m fairly surprised they haven’t knocked out a dumbed-down next-gen-console SS3 already, given the popularity of Bioshock. ;-)

2. wz

If there ever is one, it must not suck. EA knows that!

3. Blerk

Maybe if Dead Space is a success the chances of it happening will improve somewhat?

4. patlike

There has to be the appetite for it. I’m not sure they could do it without Levine, though.

5. rainer

I’d rather see Warren Spector/Doug Church (original System Shock creator) take a stab at it than Ken as well we already got Bioshock a spiritual successor to his Shock 2.

Maybe if Warren scores a major hit with whatever he’s working on for Disney he will decide to do one more of his old style games as a farewell to that genre, Disney certainly have the money to get the IP from EA.

Blerk – System Shock is a cult game but a commercial disaster only someone with money to burn could ever make the game. No way the PC could be the lead platform if it was ever given the go ahead and FYI just because it’s on a console doesn’t mean it’s going to be dumbed down can we knock off that crap already.

6. Dr.Haggard

That’s the problem really isn’t it. Neither of them were very successful, and despite the fact that so many of us count them among our favourite games of all time and would dearly love a third, how do you market something like that to a new audience?

System Shock: Deadly Shadows :(

7. Blerk

The “dumbed down” quip was just pre-empting what the PC fanbase would undoubtedly say about it should it ever come to consoles. See “Fallout”, “Thief” and “Deus Ex” for reference.

Personally I think PC games smell. ;-)