Luc Bernard: “I won’t be continuing in videogames” [update]

Monday, 11th August 2008 19:27 GMT By Mike

Update: Luc’s just updated the post to say the following:

I wrote something here and then realised everyone has posted a news about it, and right now I am slapping my head, wondering like what the fuck have I done again, so basically if you’re here you already know what I wrote :D fucking shit

And yes I AM STILL SUPPORTING EC PC AND I WILL BE DOING THAT FOR A LONNGGGG TIME, AND EC WIIWARE IS STILL COMING OUT

Just no more future games that’s all.

Phew god, what have I done or said again, I am quite embarrassed right now, especially i never knew big sites would report this

Luc Bernard, creator of PC and WiiWare title Eterny’s Child, has announced on his blog that he will no longer be “continuing in videogames.”

“This is basically a blog post to announce that I won’t be continuing in videogames,” he wrote.

“I’m going to finish off Eternity’s Child chapter 2 and 3 and the Wiiware one (which should probably come end end 2008).”

The developer blames the (bad) press for making him ill and becoming an alcoholic.

“There is probably several reasons for me leaving this industry,” he added. “The press can really destroy you morally, too much stress (kind of made me ill and become an alcoholic).”

More through the link.

By Mike Bowden

1. mortiferus

You must be kidding me! All devs go through this, some people get your work, others dont. Fact of life! However in his case he released a bug riddled game that he feels very attached to emotionally.

You gotta learn to deal with it. Take responsibility for the errors and patch em, live and learn! Either you take the good with the bad or you will never learn how to get better. You cannot just run away or quit. Are you planning on doing that your whole life?

2. morriss

See? Calling people’s games shit really does hurt.

3. No_PUDding

What a big girls blouse, look at Denis Dyack.

:P

Seriosuly though, we shoudls end soem emails, sayign it will get better, so he shouldn’t give in.

4. morriss

He spelled his name, Dennis Dylack. I had to edit. He was probably too nervous to write properly.

5. wz

Fail at life, Luc Bernard. Some people calling names on you on an internet site makes you an alcoholic? Fail at life.

6. patlike

I bet he’s not a real alcoholic.

7. wz

I was erm, dramatizing! He should stop crying, and stop all the other acting like a 12yr old girl who was told she’s fat by some videogame.

8. patlike

I was joking :)

I hope he’s happy with whatever he ends up doing, though.

9. Michael

He updated his blog post.

10. patlike

Ta.

11. wz

Complete loss of dignity here!

12. patlike

Stop writing things on the internet, Luc.

13. Psychotext

It’s no wonder the guy is being eaten alive. He clearly doesn’t have a clue how rabid the press can be. :)

14. wz

You shouldn’t even take notice any more, pat. He’ll just fade into insignificance soon.

15. ElfShotTheFood

Just imagine how he would have felt if his game was priced at $9.99 instead of $4.99.

16. Blerk

Internet meltdowns are never pretty. That said, Luc seems to be taking all the heat but if I’m reading it right he only did the design and art for the game? If he’d kept his mouth shut wouldn’t they be ritually burning the programming team at the stake instead?