Elite 4: “We are looking at console,” says Braben

Monday, 11th August 2008 11:37 GMT By Patrick Garratt

davidbraben.jpg

Frontier’s David Braben has told VG247 that console versions of Elite 4 are being considered.

“We are looking at console, yes,” said the developer, speaking in Brighton earlier this month.

Braben, however, refused to be drawn on specifics on the next installment in the classic space exploration franchise, calling it “very, very deep and dark” and explaining that it’s been in development for so long because of resource issues.

“I know, I know, and it becomes a running joke: I’m fully aware of that,” he said when asked about the title’s extended work period.

“The problem with Elite is that we started a project then stopped it. That’s the problem that’s happened. It’s the sort of game we have to get absolutely right. It’s got to be brilliant.”

No date on this as yet. Braben’s also working on The Outsider and “other projects we haven’t announced yet.”

1. Blerk

1. Make a huge and varied universe.
    2. Fill it with spaceships and space stations.
    3. Fill it with civilisations.
    4. Put some players in it.
    5. Give them a load of freedom and a huge bundle of missions.
    6. Make it dog-fighty-shooty and not real-world-physics-bollocks-boring.

Job done.

2. patlike

I’ve got a bit more on this for tomorrow. It sounds very mysterious.

3. SticKboy

4. pjmaybe

I bet this finally gets released the day before my thumbs fall off.

5. Whizzo

I think Blerk’s manifesto is reasonable, although point 6 is open to debate if they get the remnants of Particle Systems to do the inertial physics combat because I-War combat = fun, Elite 2′s combat = bollocks.

6. Blerk

We could just change point 6 to “Make it fun to play (i.e. nothing like Frontier)” if you like? Because that’s really what I was getting at. :-)

7. Whizzo

I approve this change in position! ;-)

Combat in Elite was just awesome and something that had me playing it over and over on multiple platforms, Elite 2′s combat made me almost cry in despair. When the most successful way to kill opponents is to load up on shields and ram them there’s something wrong with the combat system!