Houser made GTA by digging his “fucking teeth in,” says Levine

Sunday, 10th August 2008 11:09 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gtaiv38.jpg

BioShock dev lead Ken Levine has spoken for the first time about his Take-Two compadres at Rockstar, saying the Sam Houser is the “most intense guy in the world” and that he shares the Houser’s method of creating great games: “digging your fucking teeth in.”

“He is absolutely the most intense guy in the world.” Levine told VG247. “He’s like Rasputin, you know. He’s intense.

“But that’s how you make great stuff. You don’t make great stuff by wearing a nice sweater and drinking a martini: you make great stuff by digging your fucking teeth in.”

Levine told us that he’d got to know Sam Houser since BioShock’s launch.

“I know Sam now,” he said. “I’ve been lucky enough to get to know Sam.

“Since BioShock’s come out – I was a huge fan of his, and I think he really liked the game, and he felt is was something that was greatly interesting. I can’t speak for Sam, you know, but that’s my interpretation of what he said.”

He added that he has a huge amount of respect for the Rockstar massive, calling the Housers the “Spielbergs” of games.

“They’re the Spielbergs, you know,” he said. “The Spielbergs of our industry. The amount of revenue that guy generates… When you meet him he’s a really self-effacing guy.”

Levine was talking at last week’s Develop Conference in Brighton, UK.

1. scuz

can’t this guy fuck off?

2. Quiiick

Yeah, I really wish he would just shut his mouth!
    What’s the equivalent of “Eigenlob stinkt” in english?

3. Shatner

Hmm. So, let me get this straight. Levine is getting flack for “not fucking off” due to numerous articles that keep cropping up at VG247?

Levine was talking at last week’s Develop Conference in Brighton, UK.

When I read that, I realise that the interview was done and dusted but the site is spoon-feeding the Levine interview to its readers over an extended period.

Surely, if the site’s readers are tired of hearing Levine talk on and on, they should be directing their ire at the way the site is deliberately extending this interview rather than inappropriately blaming the interviewee. That would seem to be where the crux of the issue lies.

Let’s not have a go at one person for the actions of another.

4. morriss

5. Michael

“Let’s not have a go at one person for the actions of another.”

Hypocrisy at its fine.

Although I have to admit I find it utterly entertaining how condescending most gamers are of some of these developers; considering they’re the one making the current masterpieces of our generation, their opinion has a tad more backbone.

Or would you prefer to listen to a talentless suit with no backbone and no good games under their belt?

6. Shatner

I for one, would be very interested to listen to anyone associated with a goo game.

7. Newbie101

I guess so… You watch enough of Spielberg’s films and they do seem to become repetitive as well…

8. No_PUDding

Hmmm, and Spielberg defintely doesn’t make as great films as he used to. Ala GTAIV.

And he is the overrated mainstream developer, which I am sure is what Levine and his big mouth was implying.