Konami’s released Q1 results, showing revenues at ¥70,805 million, and 16.7 percent increase over the same period in 2007.
Metal Gear Solid 4 was confirmed by the company as having shipped 3 million units.
Press release after the drop.
By Mike Bowden
We hereby announce that our consolidated net revenues and consolidated operating income for the first quarter ended June 30, 2008 were ¥70,805 million (116.7 % of the same period in the previous year) and ¥11,611 million (165.6 % of the same period of the previous year), respectively, and marked increases both in net revenues and income.
Income before income taxes and net income were ¥ 11,718 million (161.2 % of the same period of the previous year) and ¥5,664 million (146.6 % of the same period of the previous year), respectively.
For the first time in its series, METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS was launched simultaneously around the globe, and shipped over 3 million units worldwide on the day of its release. Furthermore, baseball, soccer and music video games and card games recorded favorable results, which largely contributed to the financial results.
Overview of the First Quarter ended June 30, 2008
Digital Entertainment Segment
(1) METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS shipped over 3 million units worldwide on the day of its release.
(2) Globally acclaimed content such as sports / music titles showed steady repeat sales.
(3) Arcade machines such as HORSERIDERS showed solid sales.
(4) YU-GI-OH! TRADING CARD GAME series steady sales especially in Japan.
Health & Fitness Segment
(1) Total number of fitness facilities reached 337, with 223 directly operated and 114 contract-based facilities.(y/y +18 facilities)
(2) 3 newly opened facilities; Shin-Nagata (Hyogo) , Imazato (Osaka) and Musashi-Kosugi (Kanagawa).
(3) Merger with Sportsplex Japan Co., Ltd. to strengthen our operations in Tokyo and Kanagawa.
Gaming & System Segment
(1) Further strengthened sales of K2V series slot machines and 5-reel spinner Advantage 5 in North America.
(2) Stabilization of income from participation fee and maintenance fee from Konami Casino Management System.