PS3′s competitors look “quite dated,” says Steinberg

Monday, 4th August 2008 11:38 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Speaking to GI, SCEA marketing boss Scott Steinberg has claimed that consoles opposing PS3 are starting to show their age.

“I think that we’re seeing, graphically, PS3 games starting to create some distance and some of the other competitors are going to feel that they’re getting long in the tooth, looking quite dated, because they haven’t created that ten-year vision from a horsepower standpoint,” he said.

“So we’re all about looking at ways to keep that bar high, and from a peripheral standpoint the Blu-ray remote helps people get in and out of their digital media, but we’d never consider iterating off of existing competitive technology – because we think that’s a fad and that’s not the way we approach product development. It’s not the way we approach the marketing or the branding of PlayStation.”

Loads more through there. Thanks, EG.

1. Psychotext

10years10years10years10years10years10years10years

10 years.

2. patlike

They can’t help themselves.

3. El_MUERkO

as anyone ever asked sony if they could fit a light bulb in their mouth?

“bet you cant!”

“bet i can!”

/lockjaw

/blissful silence

4. patlike

Microsoft’s just as bad. They really do all need to have a bit of a cuddle, or something.

5. Psychotext

I really hate PR people. I know it’s just their job… but I still hate them. :D

6. pjmaybe

What Psychotext said.

Not sure I’m cuddling up to EG for continually stoking the old “this versus that” fire either…

7. Axle

Which games is he referring to? I haven’t seen a PS3 graphically superior to a 360 one yet. Different certainly, but not better.

8. Syrok

I like your tags. :)

9. patlike

;)

10. mightyhokie

That is great, Mr. PR man. Now explain to me how much more superior the PS3 will be over the next Xbox which will come out in two years or so?
    Microsoft has worked it out so people can put games on their hard drive. It doesn’t matter if there are five disks or not.

And I agree with Axle. Name a game that is graphically superior to something that the 360 has?

11. Quiiick

I love my PS3 but this is just plain PR-bullshit! :grrr:

12. No_PUDding

I shan’t name the game, ebcuase I don’t want to be called a fanboy, but this is PR crap with a basis of reality.

The reality is that PS3 seems to be pullign away somewhat, the PR crap is the insinuation that you need that, or that graphical prowess makes a better game.

See Crysis for why that’s not true.