Carmack: iPhone more powerful than DS and PSP combined

Saturday, 2nd August 2008 12:18 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Bit late on this, but John Carmack said at QuakeCon this week that iPhone is more powerful that DS and PSP combined.

There’s plenty on it on AppleInsider, although the quote itself is lacking, sadly. Have a read.

1. prodygee

Well if they quit using that flash-engine for games they could actually do some quite unique stuff. Quake is already ported to the little booger.

2. Gamoc

…I find it hard to believe that it’s more powerful than the PSP, but you never know.

Regardless, it’ll never get utilised to the PSP’s extent, it’s a phone, not a games console.

3. cachucha

believe the man, carmack knows his stuff

4. patlike

I personally wouldn’t argue with JC about technology, you’re right. He’d make your brain explode :)

5. Psychotext

That guy has a brain the size of a planet. If he says something, it’s likely to be spot on.

6. ecu

It’s more powerful than the PSP, but … I fucking hate the iPhone. It’s a nice device, sure, but it’s too big to be a phone, and it pisses me off that they cost an absolute fortune and you have to use the shitty O2 service if you want it. Plus, everyone is just going to end up with the same phone.. it’s like some sort of utopian nightmare.

Not only that, but since it’s Apple, then it’ll cost you a fucking arm and a leg, then a month later they’ll bring a new one out, rending your mortgaged-your-house-to-afford-it iPhone as an old piece of shit.

7. Psychotext

So stop being such a consumer. lol

You don’t have to buy it, and you certainly don’t have to look like one of the sheepish idiots that feels compelled to buy it. :)

8. ecu

But everyone is predicting it’ll become a major gaming platform over the next few years, so I’ll pretty much have to buy one. (have to, in that I’m a gamer that likes to own all important gaming systems)

9. OrphanageExplosion

Where is the joypad/controller on the iPhone then?

10. patlike

Games use the touch-screen and the “accelerometer”.

11. DrDamn

I’ve got one and I can see some of the potential in what’s been put out there so far. Very DS-like in some of it’s stuff so far with a couple of key differences. 1) The screen res makes things nice and clear on the iPhone. 2) Stuff is super sensibly priced. Lots of free stuff out there which would have been tarted up a bit and or put out with a couple of other titles for £20+ on the DS.

The real key for the iPhone as a games platform is the distribution service. No retail shops, all online delivery, good prices and a great deal for the developers (60% I believe). It’s the model all games should use in the future – it just other platforms have to work out how to cut out the publishers and retailers without hacking them off too much whilst they still need them.

12. patlike

My mate’s just got the 3G model and I’m very tempted. There are still a few quirks on the normal phone functionality side I’d like to see ironed out, but the handset’s amazing. You’re right: the distribution model’s brilliant. So much better than any other mobile “device”.

13. klanger13

I quite like it….. he said writing on his iPhone.

14. ecu

It is a lovely bit of kit. My dislike towards it is how they’re only using one network provider, and a crap one at that. It’s really bad for the consumer, and it means we have to pay a premium to own an iPhone. Plus, not only do you have to pay loads per month, but you don’t even get the handset free. It’s less than half the price in the US. If there was some competition, the price would come down.