Warhammer Online dev: “The game’s finished, we could ship it now”

Tuesday, 29th July 2008 15:59 GMT By Patrick Garratt

warhammeronlinea2.jpg

Speaking to VG247 at Develop in Brighton today, Mythic’s Paul Barnett confirmed the news hundreds of thousands of pre-orderers will be thrilled to hear: Warhammer Online is finished and ready to ship.

“The game’s finished,” said the developer. “It’s just being polished and cooked.

“We’re in a position now where every day we get to polish it it polishes a little nicer. At some point you say, ‘That’s polished enough now. See you later.’”

Barnett wouldn’t be drawn on a specific release date, but said he would be comfortable if the game shipped now.

“We just won Game of the Show from IGN, G4 and GameSpy from E3 and they all said the same thing: they’ve never seen an MMO prior to launch that’s as polished and slick and ready to go as our game is. Our game looks great, feels great, plays great.

“Is it in a shippable state? Yeah, we could ship it now.”

Paul also gave us the longest answer to a single question we’ve ever heard. Hopefully we’ll get time to transcribe it later.

1. scuz

*shrug*

alright then

2. pjmaybe

Hopefully they’re already working on the next bits of content for it, unless they want to replicate Conan’s current tumbleweed infestation…

3. LuckyCurse

It’s amazing how easy it is to call something ‘done’ when you remove half of the content (2/3 of the cities, 4 classes gone, who knows what else…). I’m currently ‘done’ with a novel, but I decided to remove a 1/4 of the characters and decided against a middle and ending. Hope you all enjoy it… Pfft. Two games I looked forward to: Warhammer Online and Age of Conan. 1 down in complete disappointment. I doubt this will be any better.
    Effort. Is it too much to ask for?
    - LC

4. Mavian

Yes, the amazing novelist wants to delve into the complexities of game design and programming. Being as I’m basically a brother-in-arms to them, your snobbish attitude that they decidedly put forth no effort is a joke. The fact that you don’t even know what the word “content” means is a joke. Half? Really? There was 24 classes, half of that is…oh, well, 12! So they didn’t remove half the classes. They removed 4 of the top tier cities…still the lower tier cities that exist. So they didn’t remove half of the cities.

So LuckyCurse…are you just a blattering idiot regurgitating the words of other doomsayers online?

5. LuckyCurse

Mavian:

Actually, I was reaching into Hyperbole, but I doubt you understand what that means. That’s okay.

What I am seeing is another rehash of AoC. Make promises, show off future content, and then back down and put it in later. I don’t expect perfection, but how about just putting out there what features you list on the box? A 2009 release would be fine. Just get the game done first.

Personally, I’ve given up on the game before it has even released. At the possible expense of my beta slot (oh no! whatever would I do without the frustration and boredom), I would have to say this game is nothing new. Nothing special. And, yeah, fanboy, my experience with it says it is nothing but a mix of DAoC and WoW. Minus the content. I seriously doubt I’ll ever find a worthwhile game to play. Maybe the last that was worth it was a MUD I used to program on. How sad. And blattering? What is blattering? And how do you become a brother-in-arms to them? Does it involve lubrication? I bet it did in your case.
    - LC

6. littlemonster

My god can you all cry a little more. Go play your console game system. I am stoked its almost ready. Yeah the class cuts suck but get over it. I for one cant wait to see what you all at warhammer have done. I think this is gonna be the best game I have played in years. Thanks for all the hard work ………………