Ghostbusters to be “put out to tender”: source

Tuesday, 29th July 2008 09:27 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ghostbusters4.jpg

Speaking under conditions of anonymity, a UK source familiar with the situation surrounding the Activision Blizzard merger has confirmed that Ghostbusters has not been canned, and is to be put out to tender.

The game was assumed lost overnight when Activision confirmed that the only Vivendi games to make the transition in Acitivision Blizzard would be Crash Bandicoot, Ice Age, Spyro, Prototype and an as-yet unannounced property.

“I wouldn’t use the word ‘canned’ on Ghostbusters if I were you,” VG247 was told this morning. “It’s basically being put out to tender. Considering where it is in development, hopefully someone else will pick it.”

While the situation with Ghostbusters seems clear, there appears to be some confusion as to the state of play of other IPs such as World in Conflict and Wet.

“I guess that if there are Sierra games that aren’t mentioned in the Activision press release, then they’re part and parcel of the stuff that’s going out to tender, but I don’t know for sure,” said the source.

From the sound of it, the shit is most definitely hitting a lot of fans regarding Activision Blizzard today. More soon.

1. Psychotext

I’m sure Sony would happily pick it up. :P

2. Whizzo

I would think they’d have first dibs at it as it’s their IP, make that a PS3 exclusive and it could do them some favours.

3. Blerk

Do Sony own it? I can’t find any reference to them on IMDB.

The guys working on it were definitely bigging up the PS3 a while back. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Sony bring it in house. Or it wouldn’t have a few years ago, when they were still happy to spend some fucking money.

4. Psychotext

Blerk:

“Los Angeles, CA – November 16, 2007 – Sierra Entertainment and Sony Pictures Consumer Products jointly announced today development of Ghostbusters™ The Video Game, based on the classic films that have transcended and entertained generations of audiences.”

“”Ghostbusters is one of Sony Picture’s most beloved film franchises,” said Mark Caplan, vice president, Licensing for Sony Pictures Consumer Products.”

5. Whizzo

Come to think of it ActiBlizz might have some problems shifting the game onto someone else as the contract existed between Sierra and Sony Pictures so could require renegotiation.

Ghostbusters was a Columbia film so is now part of the Sony empire since they bought them quite some time ago.

6. Blerk

Well, there you go then. I wonder why IMDB are snubbing Sony? Obviously Microsoft fanboys. :-D

Edit: Ah, Whizzo’s post clears that up, then.

7. Dr.Haggard

What about Riddick? Anyone know if it was Starbreeze developing ‘Assault on Dark Athena’ or someone else? I hope they won’t be forced to cancel it now.

8. SplatteredHouse

They’re listed on the product page at sierra.com, as well as riddickgame.com, that’s currently showing an ad for DA.

9. SticKboy

I’m more worried about Brutal Legend, personally.

Ubi should make a strategic decision, step in and buy *all* of these titles.