“Substantial” 360 and PC Fallout 3 DLC equivalent to Oblivion’s KotN, says Hines

Friday, 25th July 2008 10:44 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fallout33.jpg

Speaking to VG247 this morning, Bethesda’s Peter Hines has said that Fallout 3′s DLC will be coming to PC as well as 360.

The company’s comms boss also said that gamers can expect a serious upgrade to the anticipated RPG.

“I couldn’t even tell you right now what the DLC would be, but our plans are for substantial stuff,” he said. “The equivalent of things like Knights of the Nine for Oblivion, where it provides many hours of gameplay, not just a one-off thing of an item (or items) or a hangout, or things like that.”

Todd Howard used the word “substantial” to describe the additional content at E3, where he also said it would be 360-exclusive. Hines told us, though, that the PC version would be getting the DLC as well.

“DLC is going to be exclusive to the PC and 360, not just 360,” he said. “Every platform has its advantages and disadvantages when it comes to DLC, and I assure you we are intimately aware of every technical, business, and fan-service aspect when it comes to DLC and any given platform.

“We felt [PC and 360 exclusivity] was the right thing to do for Fallout 3.”

Fallout 3 ships on October 7 in the US, and we’re still waiting on a Euro date. No hint’s been given as to when we’re going to see the DLC as yet.

1. Psychotext

Something needs to happen to bring NMA on board with this. I need their fanmade patches for the PC. :(

2. Blerk

I really hope this turns out good.

3. patlike

I wonder what made not doing the DLC on PS3 the “right thing to do”?

4. Blerk

All the trouble they had getting Oblivion expansions going on PS3 on one hand, large bags of Microsoft cash on the other. I surmise. :-)

5. patlike

Yep, probably. Either that or PS3′s system for this sort of thing isn’t quite there yet.

6. CastellanSpandrell

Sounds like horseshit to me. The PS3 is adequately equipped to handle DLC.

7. patlike

I meant on the business side. I’m speculating, though.

8. whoelse

Money money money.

9. phatb0y

Pity about the DLC on the PS3. Then again, after the Oblivion fiasco in Europe is it really a surprise?

Anyway, who needs dog armour?

10. Psychotext

EG just ripped this a new one in their hands on. /o\

11. Blerk

Looks like they’re fully paid-up members of the NMA. That’s the first ‘bad’ preview of this I’ve seen off the back of the E3 stuff. And I’ve read/watched more than a few.

They do love their ‘let’s do a controversial preview/review and make the internets explode’ thing of late. It concerns me somewhat.

12. El_MUERkO