Bungie president “certainly didn’t agree” with decision to postpone Halo E3 reveal

Thursday, 24th July 2008 15:10 GMT By Patrick Garratt

halo3121.jpg

Oh, fucking hell. Bungie’s Harold Ryan’s told Eurogamer that Don Mattrick’s idea that Bungie wasn’t miffed at being pulled from the Microsoft E3 conference is a load of bollocks.

“Keeping things clean, I certainly didn’t agree with the decision to delay our news until sometime after E3,” said the developer’s boss.

“Bungie is always concerned first and foremost with our fans. Whenever we are prevented from exceeding their positive expectations it is not a laughing matter.”

Ow. More through the link.

1. Blerk

Someone’s dinner’s in the dog.

2. patlike

I’m still wincing.

3. Psychotext

I think I’ve already said this… muppets. Also for airing their argument in public… which makes them supermuppets.

4. patlike

I couldn’t agree more. There’ll be no winner. Crazy.

5. mortiferus

Word to MS don’t fuck nor piss off Bungie… word to the wise.

6. El_MUERkO

yeah, if bungee leave microsoft and go to sony then the console war is over, everyone would sell their xboxs and follow bungie, amirite? yairite!

7. patlike

Ryan must be extremely annoyed to make that statement, to say the least.

8. deftangel

Certainly seems to be a frosty. If things were this cosy when they were owned by Microsoft I’m not surprised they wanted out again.

9. Robo_1

Clearly Bungie were pissed at having their E3 showing cancelled by MS, and being used as PR fodder has tipped them over the edge.

Good for Bungie I say, for exposing shoddy PR BS, which showed them no respect at all.

10. Gekidami

Who cares, its not like Bungie can do anything, Halo is MS’s, they own the series.

11. Psychotext

Bungie can rush out any old garbage for their next three titles to get out of their publishing deal. I care about that.

12. Blerk

I think they’d have been a bit less miffed if Microsoft hadn’t pulled their big reveal and then given the fucking game away themselves in a throw-away “oh yeah, it’s a Halo game” comment.

13. patlike

Blerk – Yep. The whole thing’s a shambles, in retrospect. I have no idea why any of this is happening. Mental.

14. Psychotext

patlike… big egos and power struggle. Pretty much that simple.

15. patlike

PT – Ja. You would have thought, though, with something like Halo they might “rein it in” a tad. I just can’t believe they’re not pulling in the same direction.

16. Bleak Harvest

Bungie: Stop sounding like a pussy whipped husband. Didn’t you break away from MS to stop shit like this?

17. patlike

I just hope it’s worth it after all this.

18. Shatner

It doesn’t matter whether it is or isn’t. The Halo army will proclaim it’s the greatest thing evar anyway.

Besides which, an announcement of a forthcoming game isn’t an event in itself. The game is the substance. And that won’t follow for a year at least.

This is all so fucked up its insane. A total non-event spun into multiple articles on multiple news sites. Vapourware at its most blatant.

19. Psychotext

I think you’re confusing this internet with another one. On this internet I mostly see people writing that Halo is overrated shit.

20. Gekidami

Halo is overrated shit, but it still has its supporters aka people who only own 360′s…

21. Psychotext

As if by magic. :)

22. Shatner

Halo is overrated, but it’s not shit.

Any game that gets a full score in any review is, by default, overrated.

23. patlike

Still haven’t played either 2 or 3. And I never finished the first one. I should play 3. An awful lot of people really do like it, pretty obviously.

24. Bleak Harvest

You shouldn’t unless you want to, patlike.

25. patlike

I kind of do want to. I’m a sucker for “big bang” games. Also, having not played one of the biggest games of all time is a bit silly if you’re a multiformat games journalist :D

26. Psychotext

If you get into 2 the ending will be the biggest WTF moment… though I doubt it’s that much of an issue given you can just throw 3 in the machine. :D

27. patlike

I’ll probably start with 3 – time’s short :P

28. SticKboy

Yeah, Halo 2 is totally skippable. Halo 1 was a masterpiece of its time; Halo 3 is incredibly good at what it does but misuses the opportunity presented by Equipment to break new ground.

29. Quiiick

@ patlike
    Are there any singleformat games journalists? ;)

@ Shatner
    I agree. Halo is not shit, but extremely overrated.

Just played “Resistance: Fall of Man” the last few days ( I know, I’m a bit late on this one) and thought that it was as good, if not better, than any Halo game.

Hint: You need to play R:FoM on “hard” to really enjoy this game.

Sure, Halo 1 was an outstanding game at it’s time (it established the FPS-genre on consoles). But Halo 2 & Halo 3 were mere PR-hype and nothing special at all.

30. DrDamn

I think Halo is generally misunderstood in what it does exceptionally well – and that is the core mechanic of the combat. There is depth and breadth in the Halo combat engine which many games really fail to grasp. So well balanced.