Fat Princess attracts feminist ire

Wednesday, 23rd July 2008 06:45 GMT By Patrick Garratt

fatprincess.jpg

Titan PSN game Fat Princess, announced at E3, has instantly attracted some heavy comments from the feminist side of the gaming press, which are claiming the title to be “heteronormative”.

“Congrats on your awesome new game, Sony,” said Melissa McEwan, writing on Shakesville. “I’m positively thrilled to see such unyielding dedication to creating a new generation of fat-hating, heteronormative assholes.

“It’s not often I have the opportunity to congratulate a cutting-edge tech company on such splendiferous retrofuck jackholery. Way to go! The Fat Princess of Shakes Manor salutes you.”

“I didn’t care one whit about the objectification of women or fat-bashing, I would think this was the best thing since… well, Team Fortress 2,” added Mighty Ponygirl from Feminist Gamers.

“Instead of running out into the forest to find cake to fatten up the princess with, why not go out and find gold (which is a lot heavier than cake) to stuff into a treasure chest. The more gold in the chest, the heavier it would be, and the harder it would be to carry.

“Oh, but that’s not as “cute” as cake and fat chicks. Right.”

So there we are. Thanks, NeoGAF.

1. Gekidami

None-sense! You cant roll a treasure chest.
    Seriously though this is stupid, seeing as we’re now apparently pulling the ‘race-card’ for fat people the best these defenders of fat can do is not whine and point this crap out, being equal is about making fun of all sides… Next we’ll have the ‘race’ of handsome men whinning about their stereotyped appearence of blonde hair, big square chins and being abit thick…

2. Shatner

Shatner’s Philosophy on Harmonius Living for the Modern Age:

Instead of focusing on the qualities that keep us separate we should focus on what qualities that keep us together.

If you popularise the ways in which you’re different by ramming it down people’s throats – be it about race, gender, size, sexual preferences – then you’re only demonstrating your own unwillingness to appreciate any view other than your own.

Using that foundation as a soapbox to condemn others strikes me as being far more about self-promotion than about genuine concern. Using a term like “fat chicks” is hardly respectful to the section of society you’ve just appointed yourself spokesperson for either.

I’m looking forward to this game. Seems novel. I suppose the captors could have lopped off limbs to immobilise the princess rather than fed her but I guess that might have upset the mutilated feminist camp.

3. patlike

I dunno. I think it’s fine to tell people that belittle you (or others) to fuck off, frankly. That’s “freedom”‘s all about.

4. Blerk

Didn’t see this one coming, did we? :-D

I’m still not quite understanding the love being poured over this one, tbh. I think I might be missing something.

5. Shatner

I think if you seriously believe a game is deliberately belittling you or a section of society then there’s a serious lack of perspective going on somewhere.

6. Gamoc

Oh, this was completely unprediactable. Didn’t see this coming at all, I really didn’t see it rolling down the corridor towards me.

No, seriously though, it’s being oversensitive. Now, will jocks start complaining about their representations in Madden? Will superheroes appear and complain about Viewtiful Joe?

Really, it’s just being oversensitive. Take things with a dulled edge and stop being melodramatic. Equality means equally taking the piss out of everyone else. Not doing this means you are inhibiting equality and should therefore be pinned to the floor with a nail gun.

7. patlike

Well, they’re probably angry because it portrays overweight women in a “comedy” manner. It is belittling, if you choose to be belittled by it. As you said, everyone’s entitled to their own point of view.

It’s the same with RE5. I don’t understand all the eye-rolling because some people are upset by it. Of course they are. Anything (game, book, whatever) that depicts a section of society in a negative way is always going to antagonise that group. It’s natural.

8. Whizzo

As a fat person I think this title should be banned as it’s obviously a way of stoking hate against the big boned and is as bad as Nazism.

Nah not really, because I’m not a humourless prick like some of these people who’ve decided they should be offended over nothing.

9. phatb0y

How can you portray overweight women in anything but a comedy manner?

Fat people are a staple of comedy. Deal with it.

If this game was dealing with the issues of ‘feeders’ then maybe they’d have a point. As it stands its a game about a cartoon woman being fed cake, who can somehow miraculously shed weight by doing fuck all. Something I guess the objectors can only dream of.

10. Blerk

Pie Unlocked: Sense of Humour Failure

11. SticKboy

SEXISM! The following comment made me chuckle.

“Perhaps we are missing a secondary subversive element where the fact is not that she is a FAT princess but a fat PRINCESS? A disgusting and useless appendage of royalty who spends her days eating cake whilst the peasants starve and then suggesting they ought to be eating cake too?

Oh, Princess, eh, very nice. And how d’she get that, eh? By exploiting the workers! By ‘anging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there’s ever going to be any progress…. LOOK, Strange women sitting in castles becoming increasingly untransportable is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical eating competition!

Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system!”

12. mart

“Oh, but that’s not as “cute” as cake and fat chicks. Right.”

Correct.

13. patlike

Stickboy – :D

14. El_MUERkO

Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help! Help! I’m being repressed!!

15. Bleak Harvest

Hahaha…. silly women.

My wife actually laughed at this bullshit.

16. wz

Mh, these discussions could be taken more seriously if they were ever sparked by someone where you don’t have the feeling they’re just pissed because they feel addressed personally.

Oh, and “heteronormative” must be the worst expression ever.

17. deanimate

get back to the fucking kitchen luv and fuck off.