Bungie laughed when Microsoft pulled E3 Halo reveal, says Mattrick

Wednesday, 23rd July 2008 12:17 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Speaking to Eurogamer at E3, Xbox boss Don Mattrick said that Bungie head Harold Ryan laughed off the decision to not announce the developer’s new Halo game in the Xbox 360 press conference.

“Sure they’re disappointed. Any software creator would be disappointed,” said Mattrick.

“Harold just laughed and he said, ‘Boy, just a sign of growth inside the business, we agree’.”

He reiterated that Microsoft will host an event to show the game for the first time later this year.

“That’s what we’re going to do and I think we’re smart,” he said. “I had so many people come to me and say ‘look at that, that’s a measure of growth and maturity of Microsoft – the fact that you have the best show, the best collection of products and you didn’t even have to show Halo’.”

More through the link.

1. Dr.Haggard

“Boy, just a sign of growth inside the business, we agree”

I’m sure that’s exactly what he said Don.

2. Shatner

They’re stretching this non-event to its limits really. The harder they vociferously deny something the more plausible the opposite response becomes.

3. Gekidami

After he said “We agree” he added “Now can you let go of my balls?” after which Don replied “Never!”.

4. Dr.Haggard

Now the dust has settled I can see why holding it back for now was the right thing to do, or rather would have been if they’d made the decision before Bungie had started teasing their fans. Leaving it so late to make that call was daft.

5. Quiiick

I’ve got 2 words for this: PR bullshit!

6. mightyhokie

I don’t really get it, either. Showing a new Halo would have sent PS3 folks to the bathroom where they would curl up in the fetal position next to the dirty public toilet. Maybe it would have been spectacular enough to even make Nintendo look up from their mountain of money and say ‘hummm…unlike us, MS seems to be thinking about the future’.

Just MHO.