“Mystery” BBC game yet to be revealed

Sunday, 20th July 2008 09:06 GMT By Patrick Garratt

The BBC’s Darren Walter has confirmed on his blog that the “mystery” game he was shown by Sony in February was not seen in the company’s E3 conference.

So, sat in the audience in the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles at the Sony briefing I was really looking forward to seeing everyone’s reaction to the game.

As the briefing wore on I was beginning to wonder if it would ever appear.

But then Sony executive Jack Tretton said: “We have one final thing to show you.”

And I thought: This is it. This is the big reveal; finally I can be unburdened with this secret.

And on the big screen MAG appeared – the massively multiplayer online FPS game.

As it turned out: this was one of the games I had been shown some months before but under strict instruction I was not to write about it.

But this was not the game I was referring to. It still hasn’t been shown publicly.

TGS? Probably. More through the link.

1. Gekidami

It think its Tears of Blood; the rumour of its existence was started just a month before GDC08 along with the rumor that it would be shown there…

2. Peach1200

On his blog he wrote:
    “If the footage I was shown truly is “in game”, as told to me by the Sony PR people, then we could be on the brink of a step change in what games consoles are capable of in terms of story-telling and immersion.”

..story-telling.. immersion.. could it be Heavy Rain?

3. RevolutionBlues

I have an acquaintance who worked as a contractor on Sony’s recent Gamer’s Day in London. She said she heard a comment from a Sony PR guy to a journalist which went something like “Heavy Rain will change things”.

4. allen

He was just deciding if he should wear his tie-die suit to work.

5. Syrok

Tetris HD. Mark my words.

6. Shatner

Carol Vorderman’s Suduko Challenge 6 (HD)

7. Hero of Canton

Yeah, it’s Heavy Rain.

Which always reminds me of Bowfinger. :)

8. RevolutionBlues

Sorry, I should clarify my earlier post which was typed hurridly before I left for the Farnborough Airshow (woohoo). I have no idea if Heavy Rain is the mythical “BBC game”; I was replying to Paech1200′s reference to it.

9. Psychotext

Sounds like the ninjas have got to him. Don’t trust a word he says!

10. Blerk

Do we really trust a BBC correspondent to be able to tell the difference between cut-scene and in-game? :-D

11. Killerbee

The amost annoying this about this, is no one’s really explained *why* this mystery game will change things so much.

I mean, presumably it’s not going to be in the graphics department because that’s limited by the hardware, so maybe it’s in the sense of AI or the art or the gameplay.

As long as it’s not some bloody MMO, I’ll be very keen to see what comes out of this.

12. Blerk

Do we really trust a BBC correspondent to be able to tell the difference between an industry-changing work of art and…. something a bit shit? :-D

13. Syrok

Here is hoping for a mind-controlled game.

14. Panipal2005

Yes, someone called ‘Syrok’ WOULD want a mind control game wouldn’t they :D

15. Syrok

What’s wrong with my name? :(

16. Panipal2005

Sounds a bit Vulcan to me

17. Syrok

Heh, I didn’t know that. There is a meaning to my name though, but before you start searching for it: My name is completly made up and in no ralation to the syrok some of our Russian friends may know.