Europe to get 80Gb PS3?

Wednesday, 16th July 2008 16:22 GMT By Mike

According to GI, Sony Europe boss David Reeves will announce the 80GB PlayStation 3 for Europe shortly.

“At SCEE’s European press event in Los Angeles this evening, it’s expected that Reeves will confirm the new SKU, with a release period close to September 2008 – the date the 80GB model will become standard in North America,” says the piece.

“As with the pricing of the 80GB model in the US, it’s thought the PlayStation 3 will retail for the same price in Europe as the 40GB model, and the current SKU will be phased out when stock has been diminished.”

We’ve just been told this is “definite”. Until tonight, then.

By Mike Bowden

1. Psychotext

Bundle a DS3 or I’m going to hunt you down Sony. All of you.

2. Blerk

I’m beginning to wonder if they actually will cut the price before Christmas now. They have to, surely? Surely?

This pack must include a DS3. Has to. Must.

3. Psychotext

Think of what would screw the fans… or them over most. That’s what they will do. :)

4. Blerk

Lose all their exclusives to Microsoft? Wait! They already did that.

5. Spiral

What if they bundle the DS3 in the 80Gb pack, but drop the 40Gb pack by £50? That’ll be a very difficult decision for me.

6. Blerk

No it wouldn’t! Not when DS3s are £40.

7. Spiral

Yeah, but you’d get a Sixaxis with the 40Gb one and I usually get a second pad anyway. Plus I’ve never even come close to filling up the 20Gb 360 drive. But you can actually buy movies on Sony’s.

Meh, I’ll flip a coin.

8. Killerbee

I was about to go and buy a PS3 tomorrow, but now it looks like I’ll be waiting a little bit longer!

I’ll be interested to see what sort of price cut they put on the 40GB. If it’s more than £50 and places like Game / Gamestation are still doing the same software bundles I might be tempted regardless of the DS3 being packed in or not.

9. Spiral

Actually, I wonder if we could organize the entire internet to say that they’d buy one if it was a £100 price cut. That’d be nice.