“More reason to buy a PS3 than the 360,” says analyst

Monday, 14th July 2008 09:00 GMT By Mike

According to this Bloomberg article, Signal Hill analyst Todd Greenwald reckons PS3 is now worth buying over a 360.

“For the first time since the console launched, I really think there’s more reason to buy a PS3 than the 360,” he said, unfortunately failing to quantify why.

“This race is far from over and we are confident that we have a winning strategy,” retorted Microsoft spokesman David Dennis said in an e-mailed statement.

More through the link, including news background of Microsoft and Sony’s lead in to E3.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

The analysts keep saying this. And yet nobody does. I get this impression of the analysts all down the pub, sweating and muttering to each other.

“Surely it’ll be this month? Surely? We’ve been saying it all along! If we change our minds now we’ll look stupid! Quick, let’s go down the shops and buy a load.”

2. that_happy_cat

Can we just settle this now. First company to put a console on the moon wins. Until that happens I don’t care about it any more and don’t want to hear another peep out of the pair of them!

3. Psychotext

Analysts are just a little confused that their predictions of it selling like the PS2 are way off base. Everyone is wrong from time to time.

4. Blerk

You’re right. I definitely remember being wrong once. Round about 1989, I think it was.

5. pjmaybe

I just had to put together a “ten most anticipated games of E3″ thing for the PS3. I really struggled to think of ten titles I’d want to play on the thing. RFOM2, LittleBigPlanet and Motorstorm 2 were the only three exclusives I could think of that were worth giving a shit about.

6. morriss

Killzone 2 looks alright.

7. Blerk

Final Fantasy XIII and Versus, God of War 3, Siren, whatever Team Ico come up with, White Knight Story, Yakuza Kenzan?

8. Newbie101

PS3

Infamous (will be game of E3 IMO)
    New Rachet
    L. Big Planet
    Resis. 2
    FF7 2
    God of War 3
    KZ 2

360

Fable2
    ‘New Halo game’
    Halo Wars
    Gears 2

9. Blerk

Where the hell did you get “FF7 2″ from? :-D

10. Psychotext

If they show God of War 3 they’d better have a firm commitment to get it out before / around the next E3. Sick of seeing games shown years in advance. :(

11. klanger13

Personally, I thought that the PS3 line up looked more interesting than anyone else. The Wii aint my thing and I think that Microsofts looks pretty weak at the mo (maybe it’ll change later on).

12. morriss

Flower too. Like the look of that.

13. morriss

Newbie forgot, Lips, Viva Pinata 2 and Banjo 3 and most likely Forza 3.

14. Psychotext

morriss: Yeah, flower is interesting as a concept… I just don’t think it’s for me. Very pretty, but I know I’d get bored of it easily.

/never relaxes

15. Newbie101

True, I’ll give you Banjo (not sure about it but the fanboy in me hopes its great) & Forza, not that keen on Viva Pinata TBH.

16. morriss

We need more lists. I like lists.

17. Blerk

I’m still holding out a remote hope that Alan Wake will be on show. And not be shit. And actually be nearly done.

18. klanger13

Viva Pinata was amazing. Best game on the 360 by a mile :)

Microsoft have got to have some more games up their sleeves. I just ond’t think that list stacks up very well in comparison.

19. morriss

Blerklol. :)

no chance. I’m sure I read somewhere that it wasn’t going to be there.

20. wz

Alan Wait FTW.

21. Newbie101

Blerk; FF7-2 – have faith.

Alan Wake? Oh yeah, its going to be shown next door to the new Duke Nuke Em!’

22. Psychotext

I’d love to see the internet meltdown when they announce the FFVII remake… and it’s on the Wii!

23. Blerk

Or the DS.

24. Psychotext

Well… they already announced a version for mobiles. That was fun. :D

25. Killerbee

I actually agree with the guy (although I appreciate I may be in a minority here!) – the PS3 has, for me, finally reached critical mass in the sense of there being enough games to warrant getting one – Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet, Uncharted (and if you don’t have a 360 already, there’s also GTAIV, CoD4, GRID: Race Driver) and enough stuff on the horizon to make it feel like a good time to invest.

In fact, unless something new and exciting comes out of E3 (and subject to me getting enough cash together), I may well be buying one later this week. :)

26. wz

Newbie101 – Hey, we all saw the Duke in-game footage! It’s quite finished!

Btw, I hear you can play Alan Wake and Duke 4 in crossover-multiplayer together.