A price cut isn’t enough for 360, says analyst

Thursday, 10th July 2008 07:20 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Speaking in a pre-E3 research note, Signal Hill analyst Todd Greenwald has claimed that dropping 360′s price won’t be enough to stave off successes of both Wii and PS3.

“We think the 360 has lost significant momentum to both the Wii and PS3, especially in Europe, and is in need of both a price cut and new features to bring in mainstream gamers beyond the Halo/Call of Duty/GTA crowd,” he said.

“Hopefully, Microsoft will have something else up its sleeve [at E3], such as a new motion-enabled controller (to better compete with the Wii).”

Thanks, Next-Gen.

1. morriss

zzzzz

2. Blerk

I’d love to have some proper weekly figures for 360 vs PS3 in Europe to see what the difference really is.

Microsoft really doesn’t need a motion-enabled controller.

3. pjmaybe

No they don’t. Gimmicky controllers seem to be the new lens flare. Cut that shit out and concentrate on getting rid of the RROD, then perhaps the 360 might start regaining a slightly better reputation.

If the sales figures for Europe show PS3 domination, I’ll eat my marshmallow hat (I had to eat the liquorice one earlier in the week)

4. morriss

It needs to be thinner, quieter and £50 cheaper.

5. Blerk

I’ll take quieter and cheaper, I don’t much care about thinner. I’ll have ‘more hard drive’ instead.

6. morriss

You’re a picky lot.

7. Blerk

Yes. And?

8. morriss

Oh dear, that comment was meant for the Japanese software sales thread.

morrisslol (again)

9. Tiger Walts

A HDD price drop would be nice.

10. Killerbee

The 360 really doesn’t need a motion controller – the Wii has that market comfortably sown up and they’re crazy if they think they can compete on Nintendo’s home turf with an optional extra peripheral. The reason the Wii works is because the whole console is designed that way. 360/PS3 are never going to change that.

11. DrDamn

True but peripherals can open new markets. See Eyetoy and Buzz for examples. Given the motion controller is not going to be a dodgey add-on I’d like to see a decent pointer controller for general games. I.e. designed for RTS or shooters rather than motion controls.