Rumour: 40Gb PS3 to be dropped in August

Wednesday, 9th July 2008 06:45 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Joystiq’s carrying what’s supposedly a leaked Wal-Mart spreadsheet that shows the 40Gb PS3 is to be replaced with another SKU in the US in August.

If true, it will be the third PS3 pack to be dumped, following the 60Gb and 20Gb versions. More through the link.

1. Blerk

The return of the 80gb/DS3 pack, no doubt. And about fucking time.

2. Whizzo

No this will bring the dual Sixaxis with a 52.5Gb drive and a pack of gum SKU.

Sony are nearly getting to the point of launching more models of their console than Dell does of its PCs.

3. Blerk

Is that the gum with the minty flavour or the gum with the flavour left out because of an impending lawsuit?

4. Whizzo

There’s a different SKU for each flavour.

They were going to put Space Dust in it instead but rumble is old tech.

5. Killerbee

Oddly enough all the Game stores in Birmingham have been out of stock of the 40GB PS3 for a while now, which did make me wonder whether Sony were running down stocks to make way for a specific announcement of something new.

80GB + DS3 would be awesome. Sadly I think the suggestion that this will just be a “40GB plus Dualshock 3″ pack are most likely to be true.

Even so, I’ll wait just a little while longer before I take the plunge…

6. DrDamn

I’ve noticed PS3 out of stock in a fair number of places too.

7. Psychotext

E3 might be interesting then. Possible end of the screwing of Europe?

(Yeah, I laughed too)

8. Blerk

/spits coffee

9. Killerbee

“Possible end of the screwing of Europe?”

Lol!

I can see it now – Sony will announce some fabulous new SKU (the return of the original 60GB?) for the American market and then say ‘we have nothing to announce at this time’ for the rest of the world.

10. Spiral

I reckon they’re just replacing the pad in the bundles, DS3 for Sixaxis. And in Europe we’ll get a lovely 20GB with two Sixaxis announcement.