IGN launches Xbox Live channel

Wednesday, 9th July 2008 11:06 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ignlive.jpg

IGN’s launched a channel solely dedicated to Xbox Live, apparently covering all aspects of “the Xbox LIVE online games and entertainment service, the largest social network connected to the TV.”

“By launching our latest channel, IGN is able to reach Xbox LIVE’s more than 12 million members worldwide to provide them with the latest content and information in one central location,” said IGN publisher Peer Schneider. “As the top destination for gamers to find the latest and best information about gaming, movies and TV shows, IGN is perfectly aligned to cover the Xbox LIVE service as a new and emerging media distribution platform.”

The channel’s in beta, as it says in the header. Press release after the break.

IGN.COM LAUNCHES XBOX LIVE CHANNEL

IGN Xbox Live Channel Launches with Exclusive Hands-On Coverage of Upcoming Fable® II Xbox LIVE® Arcade Pub Games

BRISBANE, CA — July 8, 2008 — IGN.com (http://www.ign.com), the Web’s leading videogame and entertainment information destination, today announced the unveiling of its latest channel, IGN Xbox Live (http://xboxlive.ign.com), which covers all aspects of the Xbox LIVE online games and entertainment service, the largest social network connected to the TV. The channel launches with exclusive hands-on preview coverage of the “Fable II” Pub Games – an Xbox LIVE® Arcade title containing three casino-style mini-games named, “Spinnerbox,” “Fortune’s Tower” and “Keystone,” which allow gamers to get a head start on earning in-game gold to purchase items in “Fable II,” when it releases later this year.

IGN Xbox Live is a companion channel to IGN Xbox 360 and features expansive coverage of new content, such as themes, gamer pics, and add-on packs. IGN Xbox Live will also have interactive components, allowing fans to review downloadable content themselves and read reviews from IGN editors on the latest Xbox LIVE Arcade Games.

“By launching our latest channel, IGN is able to reach Xbox LIVE’s more than 12 million members worldwide to provide them with the latest content and information in one central location,” said Peer Schneider, senior vice president and publisher, IGN Entertainment. “As the top destination for gamers to find the latest and best information about gaming, movies and TV shows, IGN is perfectly aligned to cover the Xbox LIVE service as a new and emerging media distribution platform.”

IGN.com is the leading Internet media and services provider focused on the videogame and entertainment enthusiast markets. It is the Web’s number one videogame information destination and attracts one of the largest concentrated audiences of young males on the Internet.

1. Blerk

Seems over for PSN.

2. patlike

E3 will show PSN in a new light, I reckon. My money’s on Sony being heavy on the services announcements.

3. morriss

It can’t be, Blerk. It’s free and we’ve now got in-game XMB.

4. Psychotext

I think they need to pull their finger out on their video store (PSN). We need some more competition in this area.

5. Blerk

I can’t help but feel that if they really want to be a proper rival to XBL they need to stop adding so much stuff and work on tightening up what they already have to the point where Microsoft’s paid model looks pointless. That’s how to beat XBL – match it on quality, not beat it on quantity.

6. Newbie101

Blerk mate, I respect your opinions generally but over for PSN?

Its PSN Live 0.5 and I bet ya dollar in 6 months they will have in-game invites and the ability to send voice chat.

On top of that will be the downloadable movies and you have a near identical service to XBL but for free?

I’ve not re-subed my XBL account for this very reason (although Im sure I will when gears 2 gets released :( ).
    MS are the ones who need to pull their finger out IMO.

7. Psychotext

Newbie101: You don’t actually pay for any of those features with XBL. You pay for the matchmaking servers to play online.

(Not that I agree with that, but I thought I’d clear it up)

8. Newbie101

^^
    Really? You mean we pay for an internal server which just searches what multiplayer game your to join?

I mean, Warhawk has dedicated servers for free, something I’ve hardly ever seen on XBL, and yet MS make you pay for a ‘game search system’?

Hmmm

9. Blerk

You really need to remember that 95% of my one-liner responses are pure sarcasm, newbie.

10. Psychotext

Newbie101: Yes, that sounds right. The only advantage is that support for games never gets turned off (other than EA games… which is another story entirely).

11. G1GAHURTZ

You pay for a quality system that works, and works well.

Just take a look at COD4… About a month after release it was having problems on both XBL and PSN.

I remember going onto the COD4 PS3 forums on charlieoscardelta to see if they were having the problems that XBL was having after not being able to online for a few nights in a row, and they were.

Not only that, but long after XBL was up and running smoothly, they were still having problems even getting into a game.

I remember seeing messages from IW saying, ‘it’s not our fault, the game is hosted on blah, blah (can’t remember the name), and they’re trying to fix it, so don’t bug us.’

I play on XBL for at least around 1 hour every single day, and I can assure you that I’m more than happy to pay for a service that I see as being excellent value. For the price of a game, playing online works just fine and when there’s a problem, I’m certain that people are working overtime until it’s fixed and their paying customers are happy again.

From what I’ve read on forums and around the net, popular PSN games aren’t currently as reliable.

So, until they are, paying for XBL seems perfectly reasonable to me.

12. DrDamn

This the same XBL that was practically unusable over Christmas? It’s very good but PSN is certainly catching it up quite nicely and making Live look less and less value as time goes on. They either need to add something to the service or make it cheaper.

13. G1GAHURTZ

This the same XBL that was practically unusable over Christmas?

Yeah, that’s exactly what I was talking about. It was practically unusable over that time because of COD4 and Halo 3.

The problems, whatever they were have been solved, because if anything, I’d be willing to make the assumption that there are more people playing Halo 3 and COD4 now than there were back then. Even with this being the probable case, it’s running as smoothly as ever.

I’m sure that PSN is good and all, but from what I personally have seen and read, it’s got a lot of problems that I don’t have to worry about with XBL at the moment.

If it ever does catch up to XBL in terms of offering me quality online play whenever I want it, I’m sure Sony will find a way to stop me from using it unless I pay.

Remember, they are about “maximising profits” now…

14. Newbie101

I’m sorry but the XBL service is PISH. As DrMamn said, xmas was terrible (plus there has been other problems in the past, like everything) and all they gave us was a rubbish XBLA game. Woo bloody hoo.

At the end of the day your trying to justify paying the MS fee. Its a fee to play games online and its wrong no matter what they you put it. Since my Live sub expired (what, three months ago maybe?) I’ve not had any problems with PSN.

Like it or not,you pay to play games online. Waste of money IMO!!!

15. G1GAHURTZ

I’m not trying to justify it at all.

I’ve spent well over £2000 on my 360, so £40 is a tiny percentage of that.

I’m on the thing practically every single day. Sometimes I even play for 30 mins or so before I go off to work in the morning, so I don’t know how you can think that you can convince me that I’m not actually enjoying it!?

And as you keep bringing up xmas, it was bad for me because I couldn’t play COD4 after around 7pm, but if I had a PS3, I’d still not have been able to play the game well after XBL was fixed.

The cost of it isn’t really an issue to me at all. As far as I’m concerned, if you want to talk about price, I could just as easily say that you pay for PSN in the price of the much more expensive PS3 anyway.

Sony are already charging for premium content, so I’m sure that it won’t be long before you practically can’t use the thing without having to fork out money for some microtransaction or other.

16. klanger13

G1GAHURTZ: If you add up what you pay and what you get, then the 360 is more expensive, at the moment. Of course, you actually hav the choice not to buy Xbox live.

17. G1GAHURTZ

Sure, I know that if you add up the wifi, the HDD, the play and charge kit, the XBL and whatever else, then the 360 is probably more expensive, but if you just want to play online and buy a premium with 6 months XBL (after your free time has expired), then the 360 is the less expensive option.

18. Shatner

You spent £2000 on your 360?

Blimey.

Anyway, I too disagree with the principle of paying for an online gaming connection. Yes, I expect to pay for the ISP, but to pay a premium on top of that is beyond cheeky. XBL is the only service out there that demands such a premium. Not only that, I’m blasted with adverts that are filling up valuable screen real estate. Being charged in order to be advertised to isn’t my idea of a fantastic deal. Espeically when you consider the charge/ad ratio of the alternatives.

I do, however, congratulate Microsoft on their achievement. They have succeeded in convincing their customers it’s worth paying for something all their competition give for free. And their customers go on and bang the drum for them.

Consider this: When you pay £35 for a 360 game you are unable to play the online component unless you pay the XBL premium on top. In other words, you are not given access to all of the features of the item you just purchased.

I’m not aware of any other console system in existence, past or present, that operates on such a consistent policy of selling you (notably) less than 100% of the game for 100% of the price. You’re only entitled to the full featureset of any XBL live enabled game when you pay an additional premium.

For what it’s worth, my personal and direct experience of all the current online offerings of today’s consoles have all been consistently reliable. I don’t think I switched any of them on over Xmas 2007 though.

19. Newbie101

Who keeps bringing up Xmas? I mentioned it once. And what are you talking about all these PSN problems? Links? I’ve not had any problems with Warhawk/COD4 or GTA4.

Good for you that you can throw money away, all I’m saying is that for some of us, £40 is a lot of money, its the cost of a new game!! Like it or not you pay to play games online. I play PC games online for free, I play PS3 games online for free and I should be able to play 360 games online for free.

20. DrDamn

Small point – the Live subscription is per year. Sod the HDD, play & charge, wi-fi etc. Over the life of the console you pay more. I’m kind of with you to a point in that I think in general its a very good service – I just don’t see that they provide enough for the cost of the service.

The problems with Live over Christmas affected the entire service – not just CoD4/Halo – it affected every aspect such that you had to disconnect the network cable to play even offline. It wasn’t just a couple of days either – for gaming in the evening if you weren’t on by 7pm then you weren’t going to get on and it lasted a couple of weeks. A free shitty game did not cover it.

One final comment you said about the Live service “You pay for a quality system that works, and works well.”. If only that were true of the hardware – onto my third 360 now.

21. G1GAHURTZ

@ Shatner:
    Yeah, I’ve got over 40 retail games, loads of peripherals, and I regularly buy stuff over LIVE, like arcade games, movies, DLC etc.

I got into the horrible habbit of buying 2/3 games every time I got paid, which I’ve managed to stop myself doing since I’ve been playing COD4.

I do, however, totally agree with your point about it not being fair on people who pay for full priced games, but don’t have a Gold account. It’s a good point.

@ Newbie101:
    I could provide you with links to the charlieoscardelta forums that I mentioned, but they’ve annoyingly removed them to replace them with new ones for a game that shall not be mentioned, which isn’t being made by IW.

I played PC games online long before I’d ever even heard of XBL, but the difference is huge.

I know which one I prefer, and which one I’ve had most fun with. I still have a gaming spec PC, and I even have COD4 for it, so I could play for free if I wanted, but I’d rather play on XBL.

If it was free too, then all the better, but IMO, it’s a small(ish) annual price for something that brings hours of fun.

@ DrDamn:
    Yeah, the Gold account is annual, but I don’t expect to be playing the 360 or the PS3 by early 2011 ( next-gen by then, surely… ), so it’s not like I’ll be paying for it until I’m 70 or something…

The xmas downtime wasn’t good, sure, but all I wanted to play was COD4 at the time. I remember that some people had problems all day round, but I wasn’t having any trouble during the mornings or early afternoon. That was why I went on the PS3 boards in the first place, to see if they were having any problems as well.

I’d gotten so annoyed with XBL, that I’d basically decided that if PSN was fine that I’d just buy a PS3. I went on there and checked, and there was thread after thread of people complaining about having to wait for ages just to get a single game, so I didn’t bother.

You’re right about the compensation game though… I think I played it once.

yeah, and you won’t find me defending the 360 hardware reliability either!