Alone in the Dark PS3 pinned for Q4

Monday, 7th July 2008 12:21 GMT By Patrick Garratt

According to this Videogamer piece, the PS3 version of Alone in the Dark won’t hit until the company’s fourth quarter. That’s October at the earliest.

Developer Eden had previously said the PlayStation 3 version would come later than the other SKUs because it was “not performing as well” on the machine.

1. Robo_1

I’d say, fix it or don’t bother.

PS3′s got a pretty strong Q4, I don’t think Alone In The Dark is going to tempt anyone to part with their hard earned, not unless they’ve made a huge effort to fix the many problems with the game.

2. Whizzo

I wonder if they could make the controls worse than the 360 version?

Nah that’s impossible.

3. patlike

I’m so disappointed in this. It looked great when they were demoing it.

4. Blerk

Told you. Didn’t I tell you? :-D

/smug “I was right all along” grin

5. Whizzo

I’m just so glad I rented it, it’s a complete pile of shit and one of the worst games I’ve played for ages.

6. patlike

Blerk: :(

Whizzo: I think that pretty much says it all, really.

7. Robo_1

It’s weird, I’ve heard nothing but utter condemnation from people who have played AITD, yet reviewers such as Edge and Eurogamer have given it respectable scores of 7/10.

Ironically I’ve had the reverse observation with Bourne.

It just looks as though some reviewers are happy to give a broken shit game a lenient score for at least trying to do something different, whilst coming down hard on a functional but safe title.

As a consumer, I’d rather hand my money over for something that was going to entertain me, rather than something that’s going to frustrate the hell out of me but hey, I can muse over what they were ‘trying’ to do.

8. DrDamn

Bourne had QTE which were random order each time you tried it = Epic Fail in gaming standards.

9. Whizzo

Bourne pisses on this from a very great height, it’s not the greatest game ever but it never once made me want to throw my controller at the TV, stamp on the disc until it was fragments then hunt down the developers and beat them to death with a fire extinguisher.

As for the QTEs they’re so easy that I think I must have missed 2 playing the entire game, you get tons of warning and unless you’re playing the highest difficulty the position of the button is shown as well.

10. Robo_1

@DrDamn

I can see why that could bother you, but for me that just stops it becoming a memory test, and ensures it’s always about reflexes – which is what the gameplay was based on.

11. DrDamn

A QTE = a cop out what ever way I look at it. Either to fake some interaction in a cut scene or to include moves they couldn’t work out how to map to more standard controls.

12. Hero of Canton

I think the discrepancies between most critics’ scores and what many gamers apparently think of Alone In The Dark is partly down to the innovation factor having much more of an impact if you’re a reviewer. Because you spend so much of your time playing games – often ones you don’t particularly want to play, but have to for the sake of a review – that when one comes along that does things differently, it stands out a lot more than an identikit FPS, or a movie licence that apes several other games.

For the record, I didn’t hate AitD, but I found the chapter skip essential on one or two points. If I was reviewing it for Edge or GamesTM, I’d have given it 6/10.

Bourne I really liked. QTEs are slightly overused, but they’re handled well, and it’s got a certain cinematic look and feel to it that makes some of the generic gameplay more exciting. And the hand-to-hand scraps are great fun, partly because they feel so brutal. I’ve not seen many games that have the same feeling of connection when you land a punch that Bourne does. And the more elaborate context-sensitive takedowns look pretty badass.

13. Panipal2005

{not unless they’ve made a huge effort to fix the many problems with the game.}

Will they, though? They could either be too proud to admit they released a subpar game, or else they wouldn’t want to give everybody who bought the other versions a reason to get pissed at them

14. pjmaybe

/lulz

Really bright move, scheduling it for the graveyard release date of Q4.

January would’ve been better. Might’ve sold 5 copies rather than 2