PS3 “driving force” behind Blu-ray sales

Saturday, 5th July 2008 08:24 GMT By Patrick Garratt

According to this TG Daily piece, Blu-ray’s fortunes are being propped up heavily by PS3, as if that were in any doubt. From the piece:

The Entertainment Merchants Association (EMA) released its 2008 annual report with a wealth of data revealing the most trends in TV, home video and video gaming segments. The flood of data reveals that video game publishers are closing in on the revenue of stagnating home video sales, Blu-ray looked like the losing HD format in 2006, but was able to reverse the trend thanks to the PS3 in 2007, Microsoft has sold 316,000 now useless HD DVD add-ons for its Xbox 360 console and the average person now spends $310 on movie and game entertainment per year.

A lot more through there, if you can be bothered.

1. scuz

just exactly like DVD.

2. Psychotext

I am utterly astonished by this… No, wait, I’m not.

All it really means is that no-one is really buying standalone players and they wont until they become reasonably priced.

3. Tonka

HD DVD was the better format. This debunks the old “In order to maximise profits companies will have to listen to their customers” lie that capitalist spin doctors have been feeding us since the 40′s.

Stick it to the man

4. SticKboy

I agree with Tonka. Now we’re stuck with inflated prices, region encoding and spyware for another generation. I fully intend to sit this optical gen out and wait for d/l services or flash drives to take over, much like I moved over to MP3 when everybody was blathering on about minidiscs. I hope that BD follows the same fate.

5. morriss

HD-DVD “had” the better films and also the content was superior.

By the by now, anyway. I likes my Blu Rayz

6. wz

It’s not exactly true that HD-DVD drives from MS are useless, at least to the customer. Or at least to me.

They’re cheap, and you have a collection of about 2 years of movies, which are now totally cheap too.