“We don’t care” about hardware, just games: Blizzard’s Sams

Tuesday, 1st July 2008 12:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Blizzard’s COO Paul Sams, speaking to GI at the company’s Worldwide Invitational in Paris last weekend, said that the reason Blizzard games don’t appear on consoles is because Blizzard games aren’t appropriate for consoles. The man has a point.

“It’s really an issue of the games that we’re making,” he said. “I think a lot of companies and a lot of management teams sit down and look at the Wii as being popular, or that the Xbox 360 is doing well, and try to figure out what their product plans will be for that platform.

“We don’t care. Our attitude is, what game will we make? This is the game we want to make, so what is the appropriate platform for that game? And if the answer is PC only, then we’ve proven that we’re comfortable with that.”

Lots more through the link.

1. Psychotext

Given they only make PC games I’d have thought the answer to their question was easy.

2. patlike

It makes me wonder how long they can hold out, to be honest. Diablo looked pretty console-friendly to me.

3. Blerk

Yeah, if anything it’d be more involving with a joypad rather than point/click/kill.

4. allen

“This is the game we want to make, so what is the appropriate platform for that game? And if the answer is PC only”

PS3 has usb kb+mouse support, thats the only real difference to the user is it not. Obviously code-wise things would have to change to get it running but if games can require kb/mouse then theres no difference. Konami showed with MGO that you can have a totally seperate login etc. so they could throw battle.net in there too.
    Basically wtb SC2,WoW,Diablo3 running well on ps3 as my pc is a bag of shit and holding out for Intels new cpu before upgrading.

5. TristanMike

Can anyone really explain why they just can’t require the use of KB/Mouse on console ? I thought Diablo on the Playstation was great and I had a blast with Starcraft on the N64.