Console pricing is “prohibitive”, says Kotick

Tuesday, 1st July 2008 12:57 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Speaking to the Times, Activision boss Bobby Kotick’s called for hardware price cuts, saying current costing is inhibiting growth.

“It used to be the case that we did well during slowdowns because if you couldn’t afford to go to the movies or to travel to a theme park, you stayed home and played a computer game,” he said.

“But now I think that the hardware manufacturers are going to have to think about reducing their prices because the cost of purchasing some of this stuff is prohibitive.”

More through the link. Thanks, MCV.

1. that_happy_cat

I hope somebody will correct me if I’m wrong here, but haven’t consoles and games ALWAYS been expensive. I’m sure Megadrives used to be £250-£300 and games on the SNES were about £70. What makes them more expensive now?

Serious question. Am I wrong?

2. Killerbee

Playstation 3 aside, I think all games hardware is now very reasonably priced. Certainly nothing that should be an actual barrier to uptake.

That’s not to say growth wouldn’t be greater if we had further price cuts, but the 360, Wii, PSP and DS are all decent value pieces of kit.

3. Blerk

If they dropped the PS3 hardware to £200 tomorrow – boom! Price war! It’d be brilliant! They’d be giving 360s away in packets of cornflakes within a month.

4. patlike

HC: Yep, you’re right. They always start off very expensive. Focus testing shows that the “magic number” is £199. As Blerk, says things won’t really go bonkers for PS3 under it gets down to £200.

5. Rhythm

£200 is a nice price for stuff to be at, but the Wii needs to be under £100 to catch my attention

6. Blerk

The Wii will never be that price at the rate it’s selling. I’m surprised they haven’t put the price up! :-D

7. 303

Yeah, in hindsight, Nintendo would probably have sold the Wii at that magic £199. I’d have still bought it at that price :(

8. radicalbyte

For me the problem lays more in the accessory and game costs. Particularly on the Nintendo console.

You shouldn’t have to pay GBP 50 for a single controller (Wiimote & Nunchuck). It should be closer to GBP 20 max.

NDS games are simply massively overpriced. They should be between GBP 10 and GBP 20.