Crytek: Warhead will run at high settings on a €400 PC

Thursday, 19th June 2008 11:42 GMT By Patrick Garratt

crysiswarhead5.jpg

In a German language interview with PC Games, Crytek boss Cervat Yerli has said that Crysis: Warhead will run at high settings, at 30-35 frames per second on a €400 PC.

Yerli also says that the changes the firm’s made to the engine may also be applied to Crysis.

Thanks, Sebastian.

1. Robo_1

Optimisation FTW!

2. pjmaybe

He’s right, my PC (a behemoth quad core beast) cost about that…

3. Psychotext

At 640 x 480… yeah.

And PJ. You paid ~£300 for a “quad core beast”? That’s enough to cover the motherboard, the CPU and some ram. What did you do for the rest of the machine, use cardboard?

4. pjmaybe

Nup just all the bits from my previous machine :)

So really it didn’t cost me much more than £400

(in all seriousness though, if that’s correct then Crytek really have gone down the route of turning everything console friendly because there’s no fucking way the original crysis would run sweetly on a cheapo low spec PC. Not looking anything like those screenies from yesterday anyway)

5. Psychotext

Maybe he meant €400 graphics card? =)

Either that or they’ve changed “high” settings to be equal to the old low and included “even higher”, “stupidly high” and “don’t even try to run this” settings.

6. Whizzo

When PC Zone’s preview turns up on C&VG it’ll say the same thing, Warhead runs on lower spec kit than Crysis did by the evidence of their playing it.

7. Killerbee

I guess this is good news – as long as they haven’t sacrificed the quality of the graphics for those of us who did manage to play most of Crysis with everything on “Very High” settings (albeit at a 1280×1024 resolution).

8. pjmaybe

Given Crytek’s recent stance on nothing being PC exclusive after Warhead, my guess is they’re gearing up for the big dumbdown.

It doesn’t really bother me. My rig runs Crysis just fine, and should run this like a dream. But it’s nice to have something out there that is so ludicrously over the top specs wise to give people something to aim at, at least…

9. OrphanageExplosion

So what can my Q6600/8800GT system do with Crysis? I only ask as my QX6850 with 1900XTX can still barely run it at medium settings at 1440×900.

10. Killerbee

I played Crysis on Vista DX10 with a Q6600 (stock speed), two 8800GT cards in SLI and 3GB of 800Mhz RAM and, as I said in my post above, it ran smoothly at 1280×1024 with everything on Very High (no Anti-Aliasing) right up until the bit after the mountain (about 2/3 of the way through the game). After that it got a bit choppy, so I put the resolution down to 1024×768 and that saw me through to the end.

The thing to do with Crysis is not get too hung up about matching your monitor’s native resolution – it’s far better to play it on High or Very High with a lower resolution than to drop the detail settings (imho).

With just the one 8800GT you might lose a handful of frames per second compared to SLI, but it should still be playable. If not, just lower the resolution a notch further and you should be good to go.

11. morriss

I’ve got a PS3, 360, Wii and PSP.

12. ecu

I’m planning to get a new computer soon, so I figured it’d be really cheap to be able to build a rig that could comfortably run Crysis, since it’s been out for a while. That still doesn’t seem to be the case, though! Looks like I’ll have to break the bank to get it running well, which is a shame. I might not even bother yet, I should probably wait another 6 months at least.

13. morriss

Got an old Dreamcast too.

14. wz

Lost and found: Another “0″.