UK charts: Metal Gear goes top

Monday, 16th June 2008 21:11 GMT By Patrick Garratt

metalgear40.jpg

Metal Gear Solid 4′s gone top of the UK chart, becoming the second fastest selling PS3 game in Britain yet, second only to GTA IV. Last week’s charts here. List is for the week ending June 14.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4 – Konami
  2. LEGO Indiana Jones – LucasArts
  3. Grand Theft Auto IV – Rockstar
  4. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games – Sega
  5. Brain Training – Nintendo
  6. Race Driver: GRID – Codemasters
  7. Wii Play – Nintendo
  8. Sports Island – Konami
  9. Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution – 2K
  10. Wii Fit – Nintendo

1. Aretak

Deserves to be there. Most of the top 10 is depressing reading.

2. Blerk

I dunno – I thought this week’s top 10 was pretty good for a change! At least half of those are actually quite good!

3. patlike

I had a go on GRID last night. It really is very good. Good enough to make me want to play it more, which is saying something for a racing game.

4. morriss

So many people hate GRID, but every reviewer loves it. Weird.

5. patlike

I’m not sure what’s the hate about it. It’s brilliant, from what I saw. I only played it for an hour, granted, but it seemed great.

6. morriss

Everyone goes apeshit over the handling.

7. patlike

Odd. Seemed like a nice mix of realism and “fun” to me.

8. morriss

Well, I haven’t played so I really can’t say. However, the masses have spoken.

9. Blerk

Racing fans always seem to go batshit mental every time someone tries to make car handling ‘fun’. It’s a sure-fire indicator to me that I might actually quite like a racing game if the racing fans hate it.

10. morriss

“I might actually quite like”

That’s the most positive thing about games you’ve said in ages! ;)

11. Psychotext

Yeah… I’m on the “hate GRID’s handling” list. Shame because I love the presentation on it.

12. patlike

I can’t stand “realism”, by and large. Driving a racing car’s impossible. Driving a car in GRID isn’t. I won races, and everything. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

13. Psychotext

It’s not really the realism. I love Forza and Gran Turismo as sims for sure… but you can look at something like PGR4 for doing handling that’s fun without being utterly inaccurate. Cars don’t turn at the middle… they turn at the front wheels.

But I’m not going to chide anyone for enjoying the game. :D

14. patlike

Hmm. I’ll have another look tonight. I didn’t even notice that, tbh. I haven’t played a racing game for so long I was just pleasantly surprised to be actually enjoying it.

15. Psychotext

So I suggest ignoring everything I’ve said. If it’s fun for you then it shouldn’t make a difference. :D

16. Tiger Walts

I didn’t like the handling on the races I’ve tried on the demo pods but then I haven’t gone and fiddled with the sensitivity and driver aid settings. On the defaults everything feels a little, floaty.

As for the chart, at least half deserve to be there. Whether they are value for money is a different matter.