Proto-rumour: No more dashboard revamps for 360

Monday, 16th June 2008 10:17 GMT By Mike

xbox360logo4.jpg

Microsoft has reportedly told developers that no further dashboard revamps will be forthcoming, and that no further additional features will be added to Xbox Live other than minor tweaks to improve performance.

VG247′s source’s comments come in wake of the Intellisponse blow out last night, revealing amongst other things, Mii Avatars which, according to the same person, Microsoft will allow developers to use for free.

By Mike Bowden

1. Blerk

Xbox 720 for 2009 confirmed.

2. morriss

Yeah, the source said that when they gave out details for avatars, they thought they would included in the next “XBox”, as they were told that no major upheavals or changes were going to be made.

3. patlike

*hands up in “I just work here” stance*

4. Psychotext

Yeah… find that hard to believe.

5. morriss

I have faith in my source. :)

6. Blerk

So do we think that’s basically all of Microsoft’s E3 announcements leaked? Or will they have more in reserve?

7. patlike

The billion dollar question. If this is all of it, I’m sure there are going to be some very white faces at Microsoft this morning.

8. Blerk

And some very red arses at Intellisponse.

9. patlike

I bet that phone call wasn’t pretty.

10. Psychotext

morriss: I’m sure you do… but it doesn’t make a lot of sense. I guess the key word there is “revamp” – which means changes / new features are possible.

11. morriss

Basically he said that no new major features will be added. i.e. like the clan support thing or whatever. It’ll stay as it is just with interface tweaks to make it more user friendly etc., and code tweaks to improve the running.

12. Psychotext

Doesn’t surprise me that nothing like clan support is coming. Would have been done by now if it was.

That said, it’s Microsoft – Expect a total 180 at the first opportunity. :D

13. Tonka

My head hurts. Is the unconfirmed rumour now debunked by a rumour?

14. G1GAHURTZ

I’ve got a better rumour.

15. Newbie101

Well, I’m sure your source may be right but….

I tend to believe the biggest 360 fan here, and if Psychotext says its not true, the chances are its not true.

16. Psychotext

lol… do you have an obsession with me or something Newbie? I’m flattered frankly.

17. Blerk

You’ve got a stalker, Mr Fanboy!

18. kasai

If this rumour is true :( I’ll be very disappointed I like seeing new features on the dash.

19. Psychotext

Blerk: I wonder if I should change my phone number… I would like the company though. :P

20. mart

Well frankly, sod new features, how about redesigning the current dashboard so it’s actually close to usable?

21. patlike

I think it’s OK. What’s up with it?

22. Tonka

It’s a stinking pile of shit. That someone added to. Again and again. So now it’s a stinking pile of stinking piles of shit with clutter on top.

The lack of a Dpad also helps….. NOT!

23. patlike

haha

Seriously, what’s so bad about it? It does what it’s supposed to do, doesn’t it?

24. Psychotext

I think they could do a better job of showing / categorising the arcade games but other than that I have no issues with it.

25. ecu

The dashboard is crap, I hate it. It’s so clunky and slow.

26. Tonka

Using multiple profiles on one machine is another bloody mess. Constant signing in out and fucking stuff up. And the dpad … the horror.

Plus it’s ugly as fuck.

None of the above is my personal opinion by the way. It’s all cold hard FACTS!

27. morriss

Well we all actually know who the source is and most of us listen to him when he tells us stuff elsewhere.

That’s all I can say.

28. kasai

“I also find it clunky, cluttered and slow. Not only is the arcade games poorly categorised but once you find one it’s presented in a very boring way. They can be forgiven for that since there are demos.

Plus it’s ugly as fuck.

None of the above is my personal opinion by the way. It’s all cold hard FACTS!”

Nah its your personal opinion I have no problem with the Dashboard also who in there right mind still uses D-pad ? I know I don’t.

29. ecu

D-pad is, and always will be, preferable for menu’s. Well, except on the 360, where the dpad is so shit, you have to use the analog stick. Trying to write a message to someone using the 360′s on-screen keyboard is an absolute pain in the arse, regardless of whether you use the dpad or stick. I wish it was as responsive as the PS3′s XMB.

30. Psychotext

If you find yourself writing a lot of messages, get the chatpad… it’s awesome. =)

31. morriss

Chatpad’s great.

32. kasai

See I don’t see what people moan about when it comes to D-Pad what the heck godly D-pad are they comparing it too.

It does the job but its only good for menu’s and weapon changes.

33. ecu

@Psycho

I don’t write much, that’s the problem. But every now and again I like to send a message off, just to say when I’m available to play, for example. And it’s a frustrating experience.

@kasai

Which dpad are they comparing it to? ANY, really. Nothing beats the PlayStation dpad for navigating menu’s, although it’s not as good as the Nintendo dpad for diagonals. The 360′s dpad is utterly useless, it’s easily the weakest area of an otherwise excellent controller.

34. Psychotext

Yeah, that’s fair enough. I’m pretty much used to using the analog stick for everything on the PS3 and 360 now so I don’t really notice that the dpad is shonky other than if I’m forced to use it in a game.

That said… not sure where the dashboard comes into all of this. ;)

35. ecu

The dashboard exacerbates the problem. Or vice versa.

Microsoft are just completely useless at making any sort of sleek, cool interface. Apple and Sony get it right, Microsoft don’t. The 360 dashboard is good enough, and nothing more.

36. Psychotext

Apple and Sony’s interfaces are generally style over functionality though. Very pretty… but awkward when you get to the deeper layers.

The new PSN store is good though. The Wii interface is functional, but slow and ugly.

37. ecu

Maybe, but at least they’re responsive. I find the XMB very useable.

38. yupyup

XMB is already bloated imoO, I prefer the dashboard.

39. Psychotext