“Too early to tell” when next Xbox will be launched, says Bach

Friday, 13th June 2008 20:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Robbie Bach has said that it’s still too early to tell whether or not Microsoft will try to take first-mover advantage in the next console generation, saying only that the company will be selling Xbox 360 for years to come yet.

“Too early to tell,” he said when asked if a new machine would come before a new PlayStation console. “Our view is we will be selling Xbox 360 for a long time.

“We are always working on new technologies. We have people working on those. People ask me how many people I have working on the next generation. On the one hand, it’s everybody. On the other, it’s nobody. People are continuously working on new technology.”

Full thing on Venture Beat.

1. kasai

I think the 360 has another 2 good years in it before another one comes along.

2. Michael

Lets just hope they can make one that works this time.

3. kasai

My broken 360 agrees with that sentiment

4. Psychotext

I think reliability is going to be fairly high up their checklist. They have a billion reasons to make sure it is. =)

5. kasai

I hope, it would also be nice if they included the ability to use any laptop HDD rather than having to fork out for there over priced official.

6. ecu

No sooner than 2011, please.

It’s gonna destroy Sony though. Sony can’t afford to keep up with them this time, I can’t help but feel that once the next Xbox is out, PS3 will just die completely.

7. kasai

I doubt it very much Sony are here to stay just as much as Microsoft.

8. Psychotext

Maybe Sony and MS will join up and go after the evil empire. =D

9. 3ig3oi

Were talkn about a new Xbox aready and its 08. Does anybody else think when you invest into a gaming system it should last a good 8 to 10 years. Or it may just be me. Sony bitches get the good shit

10. Psychotext

We’ve been talking about the new consoles since the old ones got released. What’s that got to do with how long they’ll last?

11. kasai

Personally I think a console should last no more than 5 years.

12. Psychotext

Well… I think a console should be supported as long as is possible. But I’d like to see new ones every 5-6 years so that the technology stays relevant.

But I’m a graphics whore. :D

13. kasai

“But I’m a graphics whore. :D”

Same here the current generation of consoles both PS3 and 360 do look great but I want more. I can’t wait for the next generation.

14. ecu

360/PS3 level graphics are already looking old to me. I want more. :P

But I don’t want a new machine any time soon.

Woe is the gamer.

15. Psychotext

I think the gen after this will be as much as I need graphically. I’m starting not to care if games look any better than some of the prime examples out there… but I do want them at 1080p / 60fps / no tearing.

16. kasai

your asking for the holy grail of consoles Psychotext lol

17. Psychotext

Yup. :(

18. Tonka

I doubt we will see consoles that could output 1080p/60fps/no tearing anytime soon.

I reckon next gen will be a small step processor wise. More ram slight increase in Mhzes but no major overhaul. Sony might be able to chuck a new CEll core on there since they were built to be scalable but then again people are struggling with the cell as it is. I also dubt the PS4 is anywhere near.

What MS does this e3 will be interesting. If they don’t do like Sony and chuck in a Wii remote copy in their line up we might be close to the Xbox 540.

Then again, if devs scaled back on the details they could hit 1080/60NoTear this gen.

How is Rez HD? Does it fit the bill? What about Gears 2?

19. SticKboy

New consoles in 2011. That’s my prediction and I;m sticking with it.

Ooh, I just pulled a prophecy from out of my arse – does this make me an analyst?